Snowmobile World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 MX-Z 500, just wondering if anyone had any problems with theirs and if anyone could tell me a ski-doo pipe manufacturer as well as a good set of reeds, and what type of stud should I put on the track?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the 99 500 had a rotary valve not reeds.pipe I don't know about but I would say the the stock single is tough to beat.the rv 500 is a great engine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 99 mxz 500 myself and have to say that for a 500, this motor is an over achiever. When properly set up, it is hard to improve upon. Watch out with the studs, as there is very limited clearence in the tunnel. You'll have to install the taller heat exchanger protectors and probablly have to move the rear suspension and the small idler wheels to the lower holes. That's the way I got enough clearence for mine. The only real problem I have with it is trying to restart it after running it. It'll restart perfectly within 5 minutes, but if it sits any longer than that I have to wait for it to cool down to almost cold, or it'll never start. After 3 winters I haven't figured that out, but it doesn't bother me because it runs so perfect when it's running.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
get a little ether and spray it along side of the crankshaft bearing on the pto side.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it starts after I spray the ether on this seal , does this mean the seal is shot? Or do I spray the ether when the motor is already and then what will this tell me? I' m unclear on what to do with the spray.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Originally posted by Lonewolf@Nov 15 2002, 03:12 PM
If it starts after I spray the ether on this seal , does this mean the seal is shot? Or do I spray the ether when the motor is already and then what will this tell me? I' m unclear on what to do with the spray.
Spray it behind the primary clutch when the sled is running.

If it start to rev,then your seal is shot :( ,but if nothing happens you are A O K :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Originally posted by paul yarek@Nov 16 2002, 04:58 AM
see that ! freezerburnt is no dummy ;)
:withstupid: :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts