Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was thinking of getting a 1999 mxz 600 and would be new to the ski-doo line of sleds. It has 1500 miles on a total rebuild and is in pretty good shape. Is there anything I should know about this particular year and model? What I mean is I need info on both the goods and bads about this sled. Also when I go to look at it anything I should pay close attention to? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the 99 rear skid (sc-10 acm) is not as good as the 2000 models(sc-10 2). if you could find one of the 2000's for sale you might be happier. other than that I would say it a pretty good machine. I know where a 2000 700 is for sale :whistling: . :wink:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The SC 10 is not that bad

its better then the Xtra 10 in your Ultra that is for sure

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I don't think I would change the rear suspension, I am going to go look at the sled this weekend. Seeing how the guy only wants 1200 for it is there anything I should pay special attention to? Also is that a good price? How reliable is the 99 600 motor?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are some sweet rides. Now after reading a little, my only concern is the known issues with the 99 600. I read that the motors blow in them a lot and the crank seals go bad. How true is this?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I did not know of any issues with the 99 600. the engine has proven itself to be one of the better engines.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Those are some sweet rides. Now after reading a little, my only concern is the known issues with the 99 600. I read that the motors blow in them a lot and the crank seals go bad. How true is this?[/b]

where did you read that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read that on various post here on snowmobile world and on a couple other sledding websites, the only reason that I ask is there is like any controversial subject, many that say it happens and many that deny it. What I read is that the motors were put together with non coated pistons or something and they tend scratch up the cylinder walls and end up blowing the motor (like I said I don't know if its true or not) thats why I am asking alot of questions, you guys know about ski-doos and I don't. I just don't want to retire my old faithful sled for one thats supposedly problematic, like I said I only know what I read thats why I asked you guys with experience.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
some had low oil consumption problems

·
Registered
875 Posts
The sled your looking at has lost the button emblem on the nose of the hood. Ask for a reduction in price. The sled is getting old and will likely need all shocks rebuilt and the rear skid should need a good inspection for wear . Check out the condition of the exhaust heat shields, they tend to tear around the clamps. Check the skis for slices and excessive wear.

Make sure you understand the rebuild, are the pistons oversized?

I absolutely love mine and it is a good reliable motor but as with most snowmobiles it will likely breakdown when you least expect it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys I was thinking of getting a 1999 mxz 600 and would be new to the ski-doo line of sleds. It has 1500 miles on a total rebuild and is in pretty good shape. Is there anything I should know about this particular year and model? What I mean is I need info on both the goods and bads about this sled. Also when I go to look at it anything I should pay close attention to? Thanks!![/b]

Very Nice sled. i currently own the same one. umm the only bad thing i have is that the stater was recalled. other than that no problems. has lots of power! you better be afraid to lift the ski's. trust me. good luck hope i helped?

·
Registered
852 Posts
how much was the price on that sled??? dont say it was only like 1500 bucks.... i should of re read all the post before i wrote this but really, if i remember correctly,.....how could you arue with a deal like that if its all there????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts