Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on a couple of cat service bulletins that apply to my '99 ZL500EFI. One was for the intake boot ('caus the original ones were junk), and the other one was for changing spark plugs to BR10EYA's. The dealer wouldn't let me look at them. Being a rather technical person, I'd actually like to read the bulletins. I don't see what so secret about them.

I'm more interested in the spark plug one. If anybody has any info on these bulletins, or even (heaven forbid) have a copy of them, I would be interested in getting my hands on them.

P.S I already checked our database. I thought it was more complete than that. :confused:

·
10,054 Posts
we have a service bulletin section listed here on the site. If you cant find them there,,, there was a farm center out there that sold cats,,, I believe the name started with a K,,, I thought I had it in my favorites, but I cant find it in there,,, anyhow, they also have all of them listed on their website. If I remember right, I found them looking up recalls on google,,, good luck with your hunt
Brian

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm surprised. Your 99' ZL 500efi and my 99' ZR 500efi are the same engine, right?
The technical bulletons my dealer gave me said nothing about BR10s but did say 92 min octane was required. I didn't get to see them either. Something's fishey.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised. Your 99' ZL 500efi and my 99' ZR 500efi are the same engine, right?
The technical bulletons my dealer gave me said nothing about BR10s but did say 92 min octane was required. I didn't get to see them either. Something's fishey.....[/b]
That's exactly why I wanted to read the bulletins !!!

That's the first that I've heard about the 92 octane!!!!!!! As far as I know the engines in the ZL's and ZR's were identical, right down to the ECU's. The young lady at the dealership was very helpful, but she just basically read me the highlights of the bulletin. She read the bulettin word for word, without really understanding it.

There is no reason for the manufacturer to withold that type of information from their consumers. Not everyone goes back to the dealer for service.

·
10,054 Posts
that was the web site I was refering to,,,, I wasnt sure if it went back to 99 or not,,,, it was worth a try though,,,

·
Registered
580 Posts
Now that I think about it, I think the guy faxed me somethign here at work. It was a while ago but this is something I should have kept. I'll do some digging. (I'd rather do that than work today...)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The technical bulletons my dealer gave me said nothing about BR10s but did say 92 min octane was required. I didn't get to see them either. Something's fishey.....[/b]
The bulletins that I'm looking for are 1999-12 and 2000-05

·
Registered
337 Posts
You may want to confirm that the Safety Recall on some '99 secondary clutches didn't involve yours and if it did see that it was replaced. There was a specific range of serial numbers involved.
I had a '99 ZR700 but my V.I.N. was not effected.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may want to confirm that the Safety Recall on some '99 secondary clutches didn't involve yours and if it did see that it was replaced. There was a specific range of serial numbers involved.
I had a '99 ZR700 but my V.I.N. was not effected.[/b]
The dealer said mine was N/A due to the VIN, too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mine too. I looked but can't find that fax he sent me. Maybe that was VIN specific too? Seems odd that mine would require higher octane.....which adds cost to the already crappy milage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine too. I looked but can't find that fax he sent me. Maybe that was VIN specific too? Seems odd that mine would require higher octane.....which adds cost to the already crappy milage.[/b]
I haven't really put any miles on this sled yet. How bad is the mileage? Can't be as bad as the early battery type. My buddy has a 2000 ZR5EFI, and he hasn't really complained all that much, but then again, he's only put 500 miles on it since he bought it new seven years ago.

·
Registered
580 Posts
after the D&D clutch kit I get 9-11 mpg. It drinks oil too. Dealer says the oil is in spec but they run pig rich.

Was 2000 the first year for power valves? From what I've read that not only helped power but economy also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after the D&D clutch kit I get 9-11 mpg. It drinks oil too. Dealer says the oil is in spec but they run pig rich.

Was 2000 the first year for power valves? From what I've read that not only helped power but economy also.[/b]
No, I believe that 440 SnoPro's had them since '98 (I think) and '01's had a mix and match set-up where some did, and others didn't. I seem to remember that the ZR500 had valves, and the new pipe temp sensor, but the EFI didn't. Not exactly sure why. Probably pre-production woes, or over-stock of previous engines.

Anybody know why?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts