Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of these. Already the mag side carb is leeking from the drain plug. The previous owner said they had to replace the stator also. The sled has 4300 miles on it.
Does anyone have any experience with these sleds. Are there any potential know problems i should look for? What is the difference between these and the ZR model? Does anyone know if i can put a zr700 motor in this chassis?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Originally posted by dixons@Dec 4 2002, 02:04 PM
I just bought one of these. Already the mag side carb is leeking from the drain plug. The previous owner said they had to replace the stator also. The sled has 4300 miles on it.
Does anyone have any experience with these sleds. Are there any potential know problems i should look for? What is the difference between these and the ZR model? Does anyone know if i can put a zr700 motor in this chassis?
My buddy has a 98 and not a problem with it. As far as putting the 700 motor in that chassis, I think you would be wasting your time, put a bit of time in the ZL and you'll run with the old 700 motors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What mods would you suggest? I am used to riding big blocks. Unfortunatly do to money issues this year, I had to down grade to a zl. What is the difference between this and the zr?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The ZL is a trail cruiser, the ZR is a trial banger. I would go with reeds and a clutch kit. Is it an EFI?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would go with a set of VForce reeds and get it jetted down if it still has stock jets. If you want to go with a clutch kit I can get you a deal with a dealer up north. He set up my buddies ZL500, it hits in at 5000 and pulls really hard. It keeps up with my ZRT for a little bit. You could also go with a D&D power breather or gut out your airbox, that gets a little more involved with the jetting though. One other thing the dealer suggested is to put a 96 AC track underneath it, it's alot lighter that the 98 so it takes less power to spin the track.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you know if the 600 and 700 jugs are interchangeable with my bottom end?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 99 ZL for my wife and it runs great.....very strong too. There hasn't been a single problem with it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
They are pretty much the same everything except for the suspensions and graphics. The ZL has more travel up front, I believe 10 inches. All in all it is a comfy sled. I used to have a 98 ZR600, riding that and my buddies ZL500 it is like night and day.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Since your on a budget and need the best bang for your bucks,

-clutch kit (I prefer Goodwyn's but lots of others that work well)
-jetting
-Carbon Tech reeds
-tempa flow

With a little elbow grease and a decent setup those 500's will give alot of bigger sleds a good run.
Rick :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Originally posted by dixons@Dec 4 2002, 02:56 PM
do you know if the 600 and 700 jugs are interchangeable with my bottom end?
I believe you can interchange the 500 & 600 top end but I think the stroke is different, so you would have to change the rods & crank too.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Tempa Flow are inserts that go on the bottom of the carb slides, you have to modify them to the contour of your slides and do alot of jetting to get them right. I heard more cons that pros on them. I think they work if you have the time and patience to work with the jetting. As far as the 700 top end goes, I forgot to mention to you that even the newer 700 1999, the engine is the old design put in a new chassis, entirely different motor design than the 500 & 600.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So they are just like the UFO's? Will the 700 motor bolt into the zl chassis?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Originally posted by dixons@Dec 4 2002, 03:24 PM
So they are just like the UFO's? Will the 700 motor bolt into the zl chassis?
I really don't know. I am guessing yes due to the fact they bolted the old motor into the new chassis. I don't think the pipe or pipes will fit though, you may have to go with newer pipes if it is out of say a Wildcat or an older ZR700.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The main difference between the ZR and ZL are the springs and shocks. The ZR had Fox shocks, the ZL did not. I think the ZL had a longer a-arm which gives it a little more travel up front.

I have a '98 500. The thing flies.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 99 Zl with total D.D.set up,711cc E.F.I. this things flat out flies
period.I got a mix D.D. and Daylton Ind clutching works great..It snapped
the speedo cable in half when it came back to the pin,thats not Bull.On hard
pack you better be packing to run will it,on soft snow it`s an average 600 or 700.
Lite weight wahl brothers shafts,hub and disc and bottom gear.My brothers
500 Zl has a D.D. super single pipe,power breather,D.D. \dDaylton clutching,
v-force reeds,lite weight camoplast track,wahl brothers hub disc set up.It engages
at 5500-5600 for trailing gas milage up to 12-14 mpg`s.The 99`s are supposed
to have a better crank or bearings ,you need good clutching to make these
buggies come alive.Back the tracks off as much as possblie too reduce drag
and check tracking for straightness as will as front toe of ski`s this adds to better
mpg`s.The bottom end of my 711 is stock,13-15 mpg(still has the "500" stickers
on it)surpise!The 98 Zl will pull hard from start to finish and will run with all off
last years 600 and most 700.By the the way the 98 will beat a most of six`s and some of the sevens. Cape Breton Stock.......................................

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
500 and 600 are the same only bore is diferent

They have the same crank :sly:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't really understand why you want to put the "OLD TECH" wildcat 700 motor into that ZL500.

If you get that 500 jetted down two or three jet sizes, get a good clutch kit from either Goodwyn or D&D, and make sure the sled is gone through good (clean carbs, clean chaincase oil, greased, new belt, general TLC), she will make you grin from ear to ear.....

They are right when they say that it will pull with most 600s of the day, its a great all around sled...the only difference besides noted above would be to install the Fox Shox if the ride was too plush for you, and you would basically have a newer ZR when they went to the 43 inch ski stance (98 and 99's were 41 inch)

Make sure she has at least 96 studs and some good carbides, and JUST RIDE IT!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts