Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'VE GOT A 1999 ZRT800.  WHEN GOING SLOW IT WILL DOG & POP, WHEN TRYING TO TAKE OFF FROM SLOW SPEEDS IT JUST DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE OFF OR GO AFTER YOU SLOW DOWN! BUT WHEN IT'S GOING AT FASTER SPEEDS IT SEEMS TO RUN GREAT??
I'VE CLEANED THE CARBS, REPLACED THE FUEL FILTER, PLUGS, BELT, FRESH GAS, CARB SHOULD BE IN SNYC, ALL RECALLS & UPDATES HAVE BEEN DONE.  ALSO JUST REBUILT THE DRIVE CLUTCH!
COULD IT BE THE KILL SWITCH ON THE THROTLE LEVER??  HOW CAN I DISCONNECT THE KILL SWITCHES TO SEE IF THATS THE PROBLEM??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure about the 99's but the older cat's had a bypass plugin that you could bypass the kill switch with, my 96 used to miss at slow speeds but when I bypassed the kill switch it ran great. Just follow your kill switch down and you should be able to locate it, also the plastic washers that are on your throttle leaver pin may have to be replaced these effect the throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IBLEEDGREEN is right. I also have a 99' 800 that sounded like it was miss firing at 5000 RPM around 25 to 30 MPH. Remove the console where your key and choke go. There is a two wire connector , drive along slow and when it starts to miss unplug it .If it clears up go order a new throttle assembly. I went through this two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my parts to come in. Since this I've run into many ather cat owners on the trial who have had the same trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds more like a jetting issue.

Here are some basic rules to start with:

Too Rich:
Flat performance, not crisp
Worse when engine is hot
Worse when choke is used
Dark fouled plug
removal of air cleaner ehlps
exhaust popping or backfire
engine sound is dull

Too Lean:
acceleration is poor, surging
performance improves slightly as engine warms up
better performance when choke is used
no color, overheated plug
removal of air cleaner makes it worse
popping back through carb
engine pings or knocks, excessive engine heat.

I-Cat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts