Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too familiar with electrical theory or how the EFI computer works, so excuse me while I babble with this idea. I have a 95 zr 580 efi, and there is not a day that goes by where I worry about having to rely on that stupid battery to get me through the trails. I've never had it die on me, but i've seen what cold weather can do to batterys. So, why can't the battery be removed and have the positive wire that once went to the battery, tapped into a 12V wire coming off of the stator, and ground the negative wire that went to the battery? There is 12V coming off of the stator, right? Is current draw an issue? Someone please tell me why this wouldn't work. And yes I know all the right ways to maintain my battery to prevent breakdown, but damn a guy could shave off another 10-15 lbs and not have to rely on that battery if this would work. If it is this easy I don't see why arctic cat wouldn't have done it this way to begin with.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i do not think that would work on a battery based EFI sled. that is why cat came out with battery-less EFI. you would be better off selling the 580 and getting a newer cat with the battery-less EFI.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you turn the key, the first ting that happens is that the fuel pump setts the fuel system under pressure.
You will have to pull WERRY fast and a long time to get this done, on a sled left out for even a short while!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I tend to melt wires & electricute myself when I mess with wiring, so I'm no expert. But I think the above post is right. You need the battery to provide the electricity to get the cycle started. The new EFI's are 2nd pull starts. The first pull creates the electricity to run the computer, the second starts the sled.

Also todays sleds are pumping out more electricity than the old ones. that's why they can have such bright headlights. The old sleds probably can't generate enough power for 2nd pull starts.

That's my theory. But I'm really just making it up as I type!! :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
on the battery-less EFI sleds there is a separate coil on the stator that will produce enough juice for the computer and the pump, which is completely separate from the lighting coil

your lighting coil alone will not produce enough voltage and current to keep the pump and computer going at idle just consider how dim the lights get when the sled is at idle. now add in the added draw from a fuel pump and the computer

at idle your lighting coil would not produce the required 12.6-13.5 volts to run the pump and the EFI

so just to sum it up your sled wouldn't produce enough juice to run the EFI to keep the sled idling not to mention starting it

looks like your stuck with that battery, i am in the same boat with my 96 ZR 580

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think you are worrying unecessarily, cars trucks etc still start in cold weather right? If you are really worried put a new battery in and take care of the new battery.

Trickle charge it between rides, remove it in the off season and trickle charge every 30 to 60 days. Watch the electrolyte level, this should always be kept above the lead plates.

If you follow these steps you should be okay... I still have the original battery in my wides 96efi...still going strong. This was my second battery operated efi and have yet to have a battery related failure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My 97 has the batteryless EFI, on the coldest cold days it is maxium 3 pulls.
Even in the fall... 2 pulls.

Love this sled!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts