Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I torched one belt at the end of last season - lost a couple cogs that time. This time, first ride of the year, I was doing a pretty tame hillclimb and I got a bunch of rubber smoke from under the hood. Then I got a vibration afterwards. No cogs missing this time. Changed belts, and the problem went away. I think I wore a flat spot on one side of the belt in one place causing the vibration - at least that's what my visual inspection appears to show. I checked the clutches - they look like they are lined up properly, and my belt is riding correctly on the secondary. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Also - I can now see why they recalled the gas tank. Ended up with a crotch full of gasoline during the ride... when it breaks, it leaks bad. Time to schedule the recall work!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I remember right, and that's a big IF, doesn't the 600 Fuse still use the cradle style motor mounts, and the 700/900's have the different style mounts? If that's is true, then I'll bet you have a left front motor mount that's bad. You really can't tell ( well maybe if you have fixed 20 or more already you can, I can't ) if the mount is bad by looking or prying, you have to pull the mount to see if it has sheared. One definte sign is blowing belts alot. What's with all of the gas tank recalls, I see that Doo just issued one too. I didn't think roto molding polyethylene ( or whatever they are) tanks was rocket science.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying I can't tell if it is broken unless i take out the motor? Or can you remove the mount without removing the motor?

Agreed on the tank deal. What a bad design - the first recall probably made it worse since they effectively put a collar nut on it that locks it to the console in front of the seat.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Unfortunately yes. My story in short form. Bought a 600 Edge from a guy 4 years ago, great shape, previous owner said the last ride was in Yellowstone, before he came back to Mi. Fine. I'm testing out the sled during the 1st fall snow, clutches are running hot, to hot to touch. I wip out my clutch alignment tool, all is right on the money. Go out and run some more hi speed test in 8 in. of snow, flop, flop, I tear out 6 cogs on the inside of the belt, crapola. Install new belt, check tension and alignment, all OK. More tests, clutch is still too hot to touch after 10 mintes of 80 mph running. I now suspect a motor mout problem, get out pry bar, can't move the engine anymore than my 2 other sleds. Nice thing about the Edge, is that it's pretty easy to pull the engine up, not completely out, to pull the front two motor mounts out. Right looks good, the left looks good too untill I try to bend it. It is sheared half way thru. Replaced both front motor mounts, put back together, and the clutches have been running good for the last 3 years. :thumbsup:

If you run your sled 1/2 way hard or more, the left front mount is going to go sometime ( 121 in track, deep Yellowsone snow, toasted motor mount, probably) . I did learn from a pro this summer that running your torque stop to tight, ( it should have a 1/16" or so air gap) thats puts a lot more pull on the left front motor mount, causing it to fail early. So, don't run you torque stop tight to the engine. Of course, I'd still listen to a second or third opinion on your belt problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it out - thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts