Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed my father in laws four wheeler to go hunting, got skunked and returned it to his house. Not more than 12 hours later it was stolen. Talk about bad news! Anyway the cop that investigated it was dating a girl in a recent divorce. He informed me that she had 2 snowmobiles she won in a recent divorce. I bought them from her and was wondering what you guys think.

#1 1996 580 EXT powder special. Only 3000 miles. Shortly after purchase one of the pistons blew, I replaced new pistons, gaskets and 1 used cylinder for $235 on ebay. I paid $500 for the sled and it ran perfect for the first 250 miles.

#2 2000 700 Powder Special. Runs perfect only had 295 miles when I bought it, and looks brand new. I don't have a lot of snowmobile experience but this thing rips. I weigh 245 and ride at over 10,000 feet. This sled goes 85+ and gets their real quick. I paid $2400 for it.

I am new to your website, I have posted a few questions in the last couple days, concerning my brokedown 580. Most of the people I see in Colorado ride brand new Skidoo long tracks. They tell me Arctic Cat sleds are notorious for having problems, and basically what I bought was junk. Is this true? Or is it like calvin peeing on a dodge or a ford or a chevy. Please tell me I got a smokin deal on a couple of great sleds!

Thanks alot reed

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I borrowed my father in laws four wheeler to go hunting, got skunked and returned it to his house. Not more than 12 hours later it was stolen. Talk about bad news! Anyway the cop that investigated it was dating a girl in a recent divorce. He informed me that she had 2 snowmobiles she won in a recent divorce. I bought them from her and was wondering what you guys think.

#1 1996 580 EXT powder special. Only 3000 miles. Shortly after purchase one of the pistons blew, I replaced new pistons, gaskets and 1 used cylinder for $235 on ebay. I paid $500 for the sled and it ran perfect for the first 250 miles.

#2 2000 700 Powder Special. Runs perfect only had 295 miles when I bought it, and looks brand new. I don't have a lot of snowmobile experience but this thing rips. I weigh 245 and ride at over 10,000 feet. This sled goes 85+ and gets their real quick. I paid $2400 for it.

I am new to your website, I have posted a few questions in the last couple days, concerning my brokedown 580. Most of the people I see in Colorado ride brand new Skidoo long tracks. They tell me Arctic Cat sleds are notorious for having problems, and basically what I bought was junk. Is this true? Or is it like calvin peeing on a dodge or a ford or a chevy. Please tell me I got a smokin deal on a couple of great sleds!

Thanks alot reed[/b]
Reed,
Firstly, welcome to the best snowmobile site on the net.

In my opinion, you did well on your purchase of the sleds.

I'd not worry about what others may say....if you enjoy these sleds, and they make you smile anytime you ride them (like I do on either of mine) that should be all that matters to you.
I have owned Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, Rupp, Ski-Roule, and yes even a Larson (man, now I'm dating myself) and I have memories enough to last a lifetime from each and every one of them.

I hope you really enjoy your new toys and build many memories as well.... :)

Duane

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its like owning a Car some people have bad luck with a Ford so they all are bad, some with chevy's and others with Dodge and so one!!! The key is you got a good deal. be glad you did or you wouldn't of bought it. Also now you will see other deals! haha thats how it works!
I had been out of sledding for about 14 years devorced Father with custody!!! Remarried older two out other not far behind. 3 years ago went sledding that put the bug under my seat again! Last year picked up 4 sleds for $2000, 93 (cat) wildcat 700efi, 92 (doo) formula mach 1, 90 (cat) prowler, 88 polaris. First two got running in a week to take to canada. the other two were said to be on the last legs!!!. two weeks ago I gave the polaris to a buddy to play with brakes seized to rotor. needed points. Runs great. the prowler (didn't run either) Just needed plugs and tweeked the carbs all said I have about another $600 into the three I have for belts and such run great at the end of this month I head to the cabin in Canada for another year of ice fishing and sledding! ENJOY

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, and welcome to the friendliest site on the net :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts