Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, kinda new to the forum, however, my Formula Deluxe 700 has developed a knocking noise, and it seems to be coming from the left side as you are standing in front of it. The sled has a little over 6,000 miles on it. The knocked came about, 2 years ago at the end of the riding season in michigan. Didn't get to run it last year as there was no snow when i could go. Anywho, I've had a couple guys that work on slelds listen to it. Of course they weren't sure what it was. Another guy that works on motorcycles thought maybe something could be making the noise from the stator housing. What I want to know, is there anything in there that would make any noise? Also, If I was to remove the recoil starter assembly, could I still run the sled to see if the noise is more prominent? (I think i'd have to put the exhaust back on, but flip it so we could hear)
Then here is something else, would the stator going bad cause my headllight to nearly go out when swithching from dim to bright and bright to dim?
Thanks for any info and help.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When ever I hear the word knock I associate that with engine like a connecting rod bearing.

Has it affected engine performance? Lose RPM's or speed.

Besides the recoil on that side, there is the chain case and muffler outlet through belly pan. If any of these had a problem I would describe their noise as a rattle

Here is a link for typical recoil replacement parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pawl-Kit-Starter-Recoil-Rewind-Pull-Start-Ski-Doo-Replaces-OEM-420852296-/172382087626

Loose chain in chain case could rattle when idling, but not under power with tension.

If it is only annoying, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, it is going to be 19 years old. If it affects performance that's a different story.

Good luck and ride safe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts