Snowmobile World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past spring I found coolant in my exhaust and carbs, so expecting the worst (coolant in the bottom end) I tore the motor apart. After finding no problems with anything in the bottom end I replaced all the gaskets, put three new pistons and rings in and put it back in the sled. Now I have a problem.

The first time that I fired it up it ran and idled fine. Then we shut it down, put the belt on, pushed it outside. When we started it outside it immediately jumped to 3000 RPM's and it sounded like all cylinders were firing at the same time. Also when I hit the throttle the motor doesn't want to increase in RPM's but rather bog down a little bit. If I hold it long enough it will idle down to its normal 600-700 RPM idle range and sound like it's running right.

I don't understand what is going on with the motor. I know that the motor internals are ok, but it's probably a fuel or electrical problem (possibly stator). If you've got an idea of what's going on, please post a reply.

Thank you!
Ken

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but, does your sled have any gas in it??

for some reason my sleds will sound like the stator's gone when they have little or no gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3/4 full...
I took it into a shop last week. When I find out what was wrong with it I'll reply. Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by yamamaniac@Dec 21 2004, 10:15 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but, does your sled have any gas in it?? 

for some reason my sleds will sound like the stator's gone when they have little or no gas.
[snapback]378411[/snapback]​

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought the wiring harrness problem was with the 99s. Just had an issue with it on my 99. If it's harness you'll get guages acting funny and temp lights flashing eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, figured out what it was.
There is a sensor that can tell when the throttle is stuck. Apparently that sensor was falsely sending signals to the CPU. So, when it revved up to 3000 RPM's it was disabling the throttle... end of story.

Easy fix, now we're all smarter.

Thanks for all of your responses.

-Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts