Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone changed settings from factory to make this machine perform better? What are they.
Any other mods/adjustments/ too rich /too lean?
Seem to have to give it gas to start when warm, as if it is flooded.
Any pipes for this sled yet?
Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Redlion,

My wife has a 2000 SS with about 4500 miles on it now. It has been a great sled. The clutching on hers is stock, she is happy with it so I havent messed with it other than cleaning/lube. I did drop the jetting one size on the Mains, and I dropped the needle one clip on the MAG side only after testing at about 10 degreesF. I also re adjusted the pilot air screw in about 1/4 turn from the factory setting, as I found it was slightly rich. What did this do??, maybe gained a couple MPH, but it runs spot-on now, nice and responsive! I also run Amsoil, so I turned down the oil injection slightly, on a good steady day of riding from 30-65 MPH on hard groomed trails it gets from 15.5-16.5 MPG, and almost 200 miles per quart on oil all with ZERO problems, and I have run it from -10 degreesF to 40 degreesF. This sled was jetted very safely to -20degrees from the factory. I have no info on pipes, or clutching, although I have heard that these and Indy 500's respond well to fresh factory springs and a 40-36 multi angle helix, it helps with acceleration instead of that spot at 30-40 mph where it doesnt feel like it is pulling at all. I may try one next season.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SLARSN,  This will give me something to work with, especially in the mid-range where it seems to lack.  Will check the jetting and plug readings to see if what you've done will apply to this one also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tuned a 99 550 ss and these are some of the things that helped, add dial-a-jets to the carb, change main jets from 330 to 240, ( this would burn down a sled with out the DJ's ) change the needle jet for a richer mid range, change the top gear to a 22 tooth, stiffer secondary spring.
I like the sled cause it is light and cheap, very low maintainance. I ran a few radar runs just to see what it would do in 1000 ft. I ran at the end of the day, the ice was chewed up bad the temp was 48°f. I ran consistant 76 mph. The liquid sleds were about 20 mph faster, but I was happy with the speed that I hit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts