Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the middle of a day of powder riding, my sled died and didn't want to run again. i got it running eventually and limped home. since then it starts hard and backfires when i pull it over. i can get it running but it wants to die an won't rev up and backires. after it gets hot it dies and won't start again. any thoughts? maybe water in my carb? electrical?
i bought new plugs and plan to drain carb, clean exhaust valves, run some seafoam and isoproply. but was wondering if someone could walk me through checking the coil and stator. i have a multimeter. any other recommendations? thanks.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I had a problem with my 2003 XC500SP. The coil got snow on it and then the engine died. I cleaned the snow off of the coil and it started and ran OK. Check the coil and if it is wet, clean it up. I painted the coil with high voltage paint and had no more trouble with it. If you want to prove this is the fix, go out again and run powder and when the sled dies, clean up the coils and cover them with duct tape to keep the snow off.

I hope this helps.

Snowfun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snow fun, it could be the coil but it has been sitting in the garage with plenty of time to dry out and still doesn't run right.
tifa, any trick to removing the carbs? and what should i be looking for on the reeds? just that they are all still there and not broke?
i plan to work on it tonight, haven't had time.
thanks for all the advice.
dannypz

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
missing petals, and if you have a mirror chipped ends. pull the airbox and slip the carbs off. you should have enough room to check without removing any cables, hoses ect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checked the reeds, eveything looked fine to me. also, draind the carbs hoping to find h2o but didn't, changed the plugs, cleaned exhaust valves. got too late to run it so i'll be working on it this afternoon.
any other suggestions

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i had this problem with my sisters 00 500xc, the plugs were just bad, it backfired a tun adn didt run good. put in new good gas, make sure your running high octane gas, and new plugs and it ran good after that. also cleaned the carbs up a little. good luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it's seems to be runnig right now. i cleaned the carbs again and new plugs and it is running great again. took it out for 2 hours yesterday with no problems. thanks for all the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts