Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking to buy two used cats. I would like to buy 2001 600 or 800 ZR's any pro's and cons would be appreciated. I would really like a 600ZRT but people say that it eats too much fuel and you should buy an 800 there better on fuel. Their are alot of rumors out their let me know what you guys think of your machines. Thanks in advance. Pete

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
petestoy it is possible that the 600 would be worse then the 800.  I know my 500zr gets around 8 and a 600zr will do somewhere around 12 or more.  The 600 zrs have been great rode a few friends a little bit.  I test drove a 01 800zr and that is a really nice sled.  I think I would stay away from 02 800zrs they seemed to have alot of problems with them this year.  There are some other guys on here that will have more expereince with the year and sizes your looking for then i do.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pete, I have a 99 zrt600 and love it. Fuel milage was decent before I did a whole lot of work to it, it now gets around 8mpg. I have a new 900 ordered and am keeping the triple because they are so much fun. I checked your profile but of course no location noted. In MI at Wheels of O a cat dealer I just saw an ad for new 01 zrt600 for like $5700.00 plus tax and reg. Which is a pretty decent deal. Kevin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have an 02 800 efi cce and it has been ok. the mileage is a little better than my 98 500, but it has had more problems in 500 miles than the 500 has had since new.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think your decision to buy should be based on your riding style, not just fuel mileage. Do you need the power of an 800?, or are you satisfied blasting down the trail with a 600. Personally I have a ZR500, it has more than enough for the type of trails I ride. In the end, it is your money, so buy what you like.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I say to look at buying a new hold over 500 or 600. You can find greeat deals if your willing to spend a coupole hours on the phone calling around. The 500 with a clutch kit is a wicked sled do to it's power and low weight. It's a blast to ride. The 600 is faster with decent fuel mileage, It's a great all around sled, you can't go wrong with either.  But there is no sence buying a one year old used sled when you can buy new hold outs for the same price or evcen less usually and you'll have better re-sale and financing rates if you financePUT your LOCATION in!
Caleb

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have to agree with sled dogg. A leftover sled would be the way to go. You'll get a warranty and your not getting stuck with someone elses problems. I would go with the 500 or 600. They are good all around sleds. The 800 is nice for power but I can out run any 800 on the trails on my 600. You get on the lake and forget it the 800 has alot more power. The 600 or the 500 will stay right with it for the first 100ft or so. I did get my 600 clutched well enough to where i was just beating a stock 800 in a 1000ft drag race. The triples are good because they run alittle smoother without alot of vibration. They also have more power. But they are heavy sleds like the 800 twin. The 500/600s are light enough where you don't have to be super man to throw them around on the trail. Fuel mileage is an issue you can forget about on a big twin. They burn alot more fuel than the small twins. The triple 600 is going to be fairly close to the 600 twin but it does burn more fuel. the efi 600 is a nice setup cause you never have to play with jetting. My 2002 Zr 600 efi runs good no matter what the temp and the plugs are always a nice light brown. cat really has the efi down to a science. What ever you decide I am sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys I plan on using the sled for the trail riding with the wife and kids so I think a 600 is what i'm going to do. Their is a non current ZL 600 ss available any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pete, not clear on what you mean by non-current, as the first year the ZL 600 SS was available was the 2002 model year, so I assume you are looking at either a leftover, or a slightly used model. I don't have any experience with the Smart Ride Suspension, but the reviews I have read about it have been favorable. I am sure there are guys are here that can fill you in better. The ZL will have a softer suspension set up for trails over a ZR (ditch banger). Keep in mind that when you will use it on trails for wife/kids, it is still just a 1 person sled, not designed for passengers. Don't know how much experience your family has riding, but you may also want to consider a fan cooled to start the kids on(depending on age) If you put up more info. maybe I or some of the others can help. By the way, EFI is the way to go if you want to pull and ride, if you are looking to do mods then get the carb version-not sure they offer the ZL 600 without EFI though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pete,

I currently ride a 2001 zrt600.  I have approx. 2800 miles on the sled.  With stock jetting, I'm getting 11 mpg on average.  Days with more RR/grade running, I'll get 12-13mpg.   I'm very happy with the sled.  I'm more of a cruising/touring type rider than a ditch banger.  When the trails are on the rough side, the sled still handles/rides fine.  I'm very happy with the sled.  

Regardless of what you end up getting, if it has exhaust valves, be sure to run a synthetic oil.  I use Amsoil 2000.  If you use cat oil, make sure it's the newer stuff from 2002 and not the stuf from 2001.

David

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I  picked up a 2001 zr 600 efi carry over.  I love the sled good fuel milage decent power( iwent down from a zrt 800)  However this year i am going for s f7.  If you want a decent sled i would go for a 600.  even though i loved those zrts ( even though i ne=ver had a 600)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pete, I've got a green 2001 ZRT600 for sale. Bought it new in November 2001 so it's got waranty till December 1. It's got 2400miles on it and it's mint. I'm asking $4950. Email me if interested.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to my local dealer and he seems to think that a ZL 600 efi is what i should be riding. Of course he has two 2002 models in stock and is asking 8000.00 for them whith full warranty. It sounds all right but let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all the  advice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't know the current exchange rate...but if it is 50 cents on the dollar, that would work out to $5333 US for each sled...sounds like a great deal to me..what is sticker?...I'm guessing close to $6900 or so US.Get him to throw in covers,oil, and I would sign the paperwork tomorrow. Good Luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (petestoy @ July 30, 2002, 12:21pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I talked to my local dealer and he seems to think that a ZL 600 efi is what i should be riding. Of course he has two 2002 models in stock and is asking 8000.00 for them whith full warranty. It sounds all right but let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all the  advice.[/b][/quote]
That price is a little steep.

Check around for a better deal.  Note that there is little difference between a 2001 and 2002 ZL 600 EFI.  There are a lot of dealers that still have 2001's in stock.  Especially in the west where little snow has fallen in the last few years.

For example, check out;
http://www.universesatellite.com/ (Located in Sask)
or
Cougar Country RV (Hinton, Alberta) 877-322-6322

I am sure there are plenty more dealers.  I have purchase sleds from these companies and they have shipped them to me in Yellowknife.  For example, last year I purchased a New 1998 ZR440 from CCRV for 5000.00, complete with warranty.  Granted the engine did blow after 300 miles, Arctic Cat did warrenty it with a full replacement engine and had it fixed in under a week.  Works great now.

Just my two cents

newf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts