and the bearing that is in the chain case was missing
one of the seals.

but thats not the part that worys me

the seal that was missing was the one on the tunell
side not the one faceing the oil ??

the ruber seal that is between the bearing and the tunel
is there and it looks ok.

this is the first time this sled has been taken apart
so if the bearing was put in back wards it was done at the factory.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the bottom bearing is installed with the seal facing the oil and no seal on the back side,this is to keep the metal filings out of the bearing,it still gets oil on the back side,the top bearing is opposite :p

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Man, this subject has been a real head scratcher for sometime now. Skidoo has been doing this since about 96 or 97. I used to turn the bearing around so the oil could get at it like the old days but finally gave up after never hearing of any failures. I even wrote "Dear Ralph" about it once and he thought it was stupid they didn't take advantage of the oil.
Some sleds like Polaris have sealed bearings which IMO is even worse, I have seen them go more than once. So take a chill and leave it alone it will be allright, I put 7000 miles on my last Doo with no problems. Believe it or not oil does seep thru the seal and lub it to some extent. I run mechanical reverse so I run a little extra oil because of the extra gears picking up what little oil there is.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i put 8000 miles on then pulled the bearing out to change,it was in excellent shape(changed it anyway)and had oil in it same with the seal behind(drive shaft seal) also had oil in it,so oil does get there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i just changed the drive shaft bearings on my mach z and both top & bottom bearings had the seals facing the chain, both had oil in them. the oil seeps past the spline to get to the bearings.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Ski-Doo men!

just a note.If your chain broke ,the small metal particles cannot break the chain-case bearing because the seals are on the "good" side!!I save many bearings because of this wise Ski-Doo design!

Take care! 1 inch of snow in Québec!! Z36Qc! ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Does your dipstick have a magnet on the end? See those little metal filings?
don't want those going into the bearing, on the zx chassis both bearing in the chaincase are this way. Doo's are bad for that because it's hard to harness all that horsepower LOL

:D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Speaking of metal, I noticed there was always metal on the magnet on mine, and since i changed the top gear to a better EPI one, there is hardly any. The bombi one appears to be made of poor metal, and was all ful of pits and marks on the teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts