Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys -

I've got a 2001 Grand Touring that has been well maintained. Last weekend I rode 20 miles through a fair amount of powder before shutting the machine off at the gas pumps. Noticing the pump I stopped at was broken - I started it up and back up 10 feet - stopped and fueled it. I started it again to leave (with the machine in reverse by mistake) and accidentally depressed the kill switch while shifting it out of reverse- shutting her down again. That was the last time the engine would run. The machine has never started since.

I check the continuity across the wires on the kill switch - good (open when up, shorted when down). I am getting absolutely no spark at the plugs when I turn it over with the starter.

The machine has a DESS switch and a key. I've heard that if the DESS chip is bad - the machine will still start but not rev-up. I've also heard that if the DESS post goes bad then the machine will not start. Can I check for voltage on any of the 3 wires connected to the DESS post? I checked and saw no DC voltage on any of the three wires.

Is there anyway to check the calibration module (computer) for power, etc? My module has four wiring ports on it (others have six - I've been told). Any thoughts?

Seems wierd that the sled would die for no apparent reason other than possibly excessive moisture due to the powder we were in.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It is not moisture . Check to see if lights are trying to come on while trying to start it. If they are no,t then check the stator for power. Also check gound wires , But I would bet its the stator! Welcome to SW !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized last night after it got dark that the lights do go own when I'm turning it over - that indicated to me that the stator was probably good.

What about the pick-up assembly that is right beside the stator? Doesn't it send a timing signal to the MPEM so the the MPEM knows when to send current to the coil to fire the plugs? Does the pick-up assembly go bad often?

I ordered a CD off Ebay that has the shop manual on it. Hopefully there are some testing procedures in it to indicate weather the MPEM has gone bad - unless anyone can tell me off-hand what a simple voltage / amperage test might be.....?

Thanks,

Scott

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
I found another 2001 600 sled and traded MPEMs - my sled fired right up. Bad MPEM.[/b]
We had the same type of problem on our 99 MXZ 600 and it turned out to be the MPEM as well, dealer installed a used one and programed it for us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the old MPENS maybe have a broken wire ? my pickup did and I just had it sodderd[/b]

I don't think it's the wiring.....the same wiring harnesses that plug into my MPEM plugged into the one that I borrowed and she fired right up.

The MPEM itself is a sealed unit (the hardened "jel" sealing stuff) so checking the components is kind of out of the question too.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had the same type of problem on our 99 MXZ 600 and it turned out to be the MPEM as well, dealer installed a used one and programed it for us.[/b]

Yep - that's the route I'm taking as we speak. I'm trying to finish up a deal for a used MPEM and then I'll take it to my dealer to have them program my tether into the new (used) MPEM.

On a side note - I posted some pictures in the user gallery. If you have never seen a "Little Skipper" snowmobile made by Lori Industries back in the early seventies - check out my album called "Scott's Stuff". You'll see a couple pictures of my kids riding the old beast. It's a sled that's about 4 feet long with a 3 horse power Briggs and Stratton motor. Kind of cool. Also a shot of the wife, kids, and our two sleds up in Maine.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts