Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2001 mxz 800 and i was wanted to know if there were any problems with the sled, what would be a good price, and if i could beat a everyone elses 800?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
From what Ive heard the 02s had lots of carb related problems. The rear suspension is a bit better with the added travel on the 02s though. If you can find a good one the 01s were just fine. With minor tweaking the clutches can be setup on the 01s if you find a bad one. They are excellent sleds and you can find great deals on them. I have seen X package 800s go for $4300 US but anywhere from $4300 to $5300. If you can get a deal on it, grab it!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Exactly what I was saying TT, I feel the 01 800s are better than the 02s due to the same reasons.
But the 02s ride nicer in the rear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
C'mon guys, the '02s were leaps and bounds over the '01s. The SC-10III is MUCH better than the II, the precision skis are awesome, the heated carbs got rid of the icing problems the '01s had, the clutching was better, and they fixed the starter recoil problems and the piston ring problems on the '02s. The jetting was fine as soon as you took it in for the carb recall. The DPM works great! The seat was better, the tunnel design better, more suspension travel, plus the two-tone yellow and black X's were awesome. My buddy just picked up a 1000 mile '02 800X, for Under $6000 (US).

Get one with RER!!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
To settle some information here.

The rings in a 02, are the same as the 01s, and both flake off their coating. I was told to check mine after my friend with his 02 had problems with his (under 300 miles on it).

I never had any carb problems, icing or elsewhere.

The 01 had bett fuel mileage, and are quicker. They have a hotter ignition.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I agree about the percision skiis thats why I have them on my 01 now.

I have never had a carb icing problem on my 01 and have never used the heated carbs feature on my 02.

The Sc 10 3 is nicer than the Sc 10 2 but not a lot. Only in the big stuff at high speeds.

The tunnel boards being wider is nice but Rox Sletreds can fix that on the 01s.

You can put any hood on either or paint either.

I like both seats the same.

I have barely had any problems with the recoil on my 01, after all day of hard riding it started to slip a tad. Until I took off the stock muffler put on a MBRP and put heat tape on the recoil cover, now no problem at all.

My DPM has always worked just fine.

And I have seen 01 Xs for $4300 and low miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the 01 800,sure it would be nice to have the 02 but if your looking to buy an 01 in decent shape you won't go wrong.My carbs never iced up and the recoil worked fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had both , just sold my 01 adr.800 for $ 4000 .00 . fantastic sled, I've had the carbs ice up alot on that sled, not a big deal just kind of a pain. other than that it was great 4800miles the first year. never went to the dealer accept for the piston recall at the end , when we pulled the pistons out they looked like new. as far as the 02, i still have mine ,once i got the belt to quit slipping in the driven, it was the fastest sled i've ever rode, accept for a friends mach z, the handling and ride on the 02 is light years ahead of my 01 , I got to the point I just love that 02 but I love them all

·
Registered
625 Posts
the 01's had secondary clutch problems (without reverse anyways), my brother in laws secondary fixed half belw off with about 700 miles on the sled. The 02's (800's only) wether or not they had RER came with the RER secondary, and that is what Doo did to fix his under warranty, and it would appear they knew a few had problems because of this. Then there were the piston recalls which Doo fixed on his but they had not failed, and they also installed a taller coolant bottle to ensure that the cap was the highest point in the cooling system even when the sled was tilted.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just for the record the 02's had some reoil problems too, my brothers 02' was fixed under warranty with help from some info from this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just picked up a 02 800 mxz for #4500. cant wait for the snow to start falling. My buddy has an 01 and after the piston recal they remaped the ignition system and his milage is bad. so I cant wait to ride his and check out the differance

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
clancy thats odd that your brother in laws mileage changed after the update because mine seemed about the same exactly to me.

If I couldnt see the differences when I raised the hood I wouldnt have known they did anything to it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I never had carb icing or recoil problems on the '01. I thought it was a good sled.....until I bought and rode a REV 600. The 600HO is everything the 800 SHOULD have been but in a smaller package. The guys riding the average bone stock '01 and 02 800's might want to be carefull of lining up against the 600HO, if youve taken the time to fine tune them you'll be ok. If its a virgin sled you might be in trouble.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In 1700 miles on the '01 800 in the mountains, I remember waaaaay more mornings with frozen carbs than I could have imagined. I started buying plugs by the box- they just don't seem to work after they have been fouled!

For all the stock 800 owners- if the 600HO is the sled it ought to be, it's time to start tuning.

Top end comes off next week- I'm looking forward to seeing it. I still have to go check from last years notes, but I think it only has 600-700 miles on it. TT- did ya see DJM's post on snowest about his pistons?

IMO, the summits tell the story on the 800's. Sorry, but it seems to me that WOT is the rule, not the exception, when riding powder. No it ain't pinned all day. But it's pinned alot! It sounds like a lot of MXZ's have been fine- I wish I could say the same. I wish others could, too. Gotta love those 670's...

Can't wait to bolt on an RKT with (hopefully) better pistons. BTW, my recoil is still holding out. I haven't had a reason to take it apart yet, either. But again, it's low miles. I would hope it would last at least 2000 miles. That isn't so much to ask, is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 01 MXZ-800, and had Doug (zzzman on Amsnow) do up a set-up for it. UNVME had his done up by Doug as well. This is a bit more than just a clutch kit. It was a night and day differnce. The sled now acts like an 800 is supposed to!!! It flat out rocks. I did have the updates done to the sled last season (piston/rings, coolant update and MPEM change). Would I buy another 800? Yep!! Would I have Doug set up another of my sleds? With-out a dout!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts