Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on my 2001 XC SP 800. First off, love the sled, I just upgraded from a indy 500. However, I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to improve it in some way.

It has a 1 inch lug track...with no studs. I ride some trails and feel uncomfortable without studs. I have read some on the 800 crank issues; how much more strain am I putting on that crank with some studs? I almost can't live without them and might have to take the chance...how many should I put on?

Another issue...I am not going to start the arguments over how much snow I need to ride, but I live in north central Illinois with minimal snow at the moment. What I will ask about is the coolant temperature? How hot? I have been riding some and make a point to find as much snow as possible. I rode tonight, stopped and felt the heat exchanger, not terribly hot, I could keep my hand on it without burning...Any opinions?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Don't spend much time worrying about the crank. 144 up the middle works great for trail. The sled likes snow for cooling, but it sounds to me like you are using your head. It has a "limp" mode to retard timing/turn the temp light on (hard to see in full sunlight) when hot. Just keep an eye on it....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts