Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well first off I need some help with my sled, last year I had my speedo bearing fail and I pulled off the track and replaced it. After my first ride this year it seems my sled is riding to low and i tried adjusting it up with little success. I have a 1 inch or so of slop and my sled sits almost bottomed out with just me on it in the shop. Any advice? thanks adam

·
Registered
177 Posts
all I have to say is that those are the biggest pain in the ##### to set up... You cant ever screw with the settings unless you know what you are doing... get a diagram of your sled and put it back to the stock settings. you have either changed the position of the rear H bar or you have changed where the spring saddles are, or you have changes a shock setting or something else and/or all of the above. This happened to my buddy and he finally just got fed up and grabbed the rear skid out of a sno pro ZR that we had lying around. and never touched it again.

·
10,054 Posts
any chance your springs are shot?? could be something as simple as that,,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yes it my be very possible that my springs are no good but the question is how to tell for sure and then where do i buy new and what to buy. So as I sit on the sled before i moved anything the snow flap on the back touches the floor, and I only weight about 200 pounds. It doesnt seem to push back at all, thats why i thought most likely they are bad... And as for me moving the adjuster I moved the rear H bar back 2 holes and it took the slop out of it but still sags alot when you sit on it.

What springs are good and how hard are they to change? any other ideas? thanks all.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'll add my .02

First, make sure that piece 26 in the diagram below (the rear shock lower mount) did not flip down when you put the skid back in.

[attachment=41284:skid.gif]

If you sit on the seat and the sled just bottoms and you get off and it pops right back up, you have shocks in need of repair - it will just act like a spring board.
If you sit on the seat and you can feel resistance as the sled sinks, and you get off and it just stays there, you probably have worn springs - but the shocks may still be low on charge. The gas charge in those shocks helps extend them and return the suspension.

You didn't say how many miles are on the sled, but it is probably high enough to be able to justify a shock recharge or maybe a rebuild if the sled is higher mileage.
A recharge is cheap, I think I had all 4 of mine done for $21.00 - it is just the work of removing the skid (which you will have to do if you have to replace the rear springs).

If you are over 3,500 - 4,000 miles you might want to consider just replacing the rear springs and recharging at least the skid shocks. You will have forgotten just how good the sled can perform.

FWIW,
I am about the same weight as you, the magic set-up for my rear suspension in my 2002 ZR (same skid) is:
New standard rear springs
Spring blocks on lightest setting (if trails are REAL rough I will move to middle setting)
Coupler blocks removed
Front skid shock spring 4 turns tight past spring rattling
Fresh charge in shocks
Rear H-bar 2nd hole from front
Limiter straps just loose with suspension hanging

This set up is plush when you need but provides good big bumpability if you lift your butt off the seat. The sled sits in 4-5 inches with me on it and returns all the way up when I get off the seat. On a typical 100 mile ride I will bottom out 3-4 times if the trail has mogul sections.

I have the limiters set a bit loose because I like the weight transfer but if you don't like the ski lift you may want to pull them tighter than mine - but this is a great starting point.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that does help me alot... And now that I have a few days off i will be taking a look at all of this and just seeing what i have. And for the question you asked about miles i just rolled over 2000 miles. One other note that i had forgot about I did last season ride double with it for like 50 miles or so maybe that is when I started the issue. never the less it needs fixed so i will be getting back soon with my findings. thanks all.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
all I have to say is that those are the biggest pain in the ##### to set up... You cant ever screw with the settings unless you know what you are doing... get a diagram of your sled and put it back to the stock settings. you have either changed the position of the rear H bar or you have changed where the spring saddles are, or you have changes a shock setting or something else and/or all of the above. This happened to my buddy and he finally just got fed up and grabbed the rear skid out of a sno pro ZR that we had lying around. and never touched it again.[/b]
what are you babbling about????????

Now tell me the diference between a stock versus ZR snopro

shock valving,dif springs

besides that they are THE SAME!!!!!!

get some 1604-388/389springs and shocks revalved

its not rocket science

1 - 8 of 8 Posts