Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 00 ZR500 is done for and I started looking for a new sled.  I've decided I want to go to a 800 this time.  I found a 01 ZR800 with 1200 miles on it.  Comes with Vforce, clutch kit(don't know what type), skid plate, cover, screen kit, helmet 196 woodys studs and some other accessories for 4600 US.  Is this a good deal if its in as mint a condition as he says and is there anything I should know about the 01 800s before I go to look at it.  Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My dealer said the 800's are a strong engine. The 02 800's have a new bottom end that is beefed up and the clutching is a bit diffeent but if yours comes with a kit anyway it doesnt matter. He has only seen 1 800 in for warranty on the engine and cat covered it this year. here is a pic of my 900

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
ZR500, I have the same sled w/900 miles on it and love it.  I traded in a ZRT800 for mine.  Have seen some of the roughest and the smoothest trails this year, and the sled handled perfectly...the rougher the trails, the better it handles.  As far as your deal, first you need to be confident that the clutch work and studs were done properly.  If they were, then it's a decent deal.  My dealer still has a '01 "demo" with no miles and he's asking around $6500.00 US (could probably buy for $6000.00).  So you have to weigh, is the $1500.00 savings w/all the extras worth 1200 miles and no warranty.  Or would you rather spend the extra $1500.00 dollars or so and have a stock sled w/warranty?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys you've been helpful.  I'm going to go look and see what it looks like.  JIM FRITCH thats kinda what i'm wondering about the dealer here has a 02 800 in the crate still that he is willing to sell for $6500.  On the other hand the 01 still has some warranty left on it and I'm thinking there is a way to extend it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Well now, $6500 for an '02...I would have to consider that, if you don't mind sepnding the extra jack.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
hey jim how do you like the 800 twin verses the 800 triple,  does it seem to be the same power ect?,  and what is the name of the ac dealer in jamestown?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
H-man, don't want to start that whole debate again, but in a couple words, I don't miss the tripple.  Sure at the higher speeds the tripple probably felt stronger, but I definately don't have any power complaints (or any other) about my twin.  I did install D&D twin pipes, just to have a little extra something.  'Nuff said!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
ZR500, let me know about extending the warranty.  I might be interested, but it was never offered to me so I didn't know it was available.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still gotta find out about extending the warranty but I'll let you know.  Highlander German the dealer here in Jamestown is Dales Motorsports but there not the one with the 800 in the crate if thats why you wondering.  I found that at McLaughlins in Fargo.  I think i'm going to have to go with the used one it looks to be in perfect condition and I'm pretty sure I can talk the guy down even more.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
thanks for the info gentelmen,  i picked up a 600efi to go to the mountains.  i really like this sled , b ut i still love my triple 800 .   so i had been wondering if the 800 twin would be a good sled.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ZR 500 I've got an 01 zr 800 and it's a nice sled.I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.The 01 & 02 are worlds apart.There are more changes than just the bottom end.They're nice sleds and i wouldn't trade for anything.Some tuning really wakes the big beast up.Have fun with your new 800,you'll love like everybody else does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts