Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dammaged the center radiator on a 2001 ZR600EFI. My track came apart and the studs ripped holed into the center radiator at the front of the track. It looks to me that this cannot be replaced and is part of the frame. I also found that it can be bypassed and the cooling system ran through the radiators that run the length of the tunnel.

Will this provide enough cooling or will I have problems with overheating?

·
Registered
980 Posts
It is my opinion that the tunnel exchangers do not have enough surface area to do the required cooling. Also, by bypassing the front exchanger you are reducing the cooling system capacity considerably. There simply will not be enough coolant in the system to take the heat away.

You are right, that exchanger is part of the bulkhead and is BRUTAL if you choose to replace it. It is basically one of the first 3 or 4 parts assembled when the sled is new and requires a complete disassembly of the sled to replace.

I have put a hole in a few of those exchangers over the years and I have typically opted to just weld them up. I am fortunate to have welding experience and a tig set-up at home, but many people opt to pull the skid, drive shaft, and track and bring the sled to a good weld shop to have the hole fixed. It will not be very expensive, but it is a bit labor intensive.
Some people (including me) have used JB weld to patch the hole, but I would only consider this a temporary fix until you can get it welded. I tossed a stud in the u.p. a few years back and cleaning the surface real good and packing the hole full got me through another 900 miles until I could get it home and fix it right.

Good luck man,

·
10,054 Posts
Agree 100%,,, getting it welded wont be that expensive and by bypassing it you are only asking for problems,,, first pass in any remotely low snow condition and you will be sitting alongside the trail waiting for it to cool down.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
how bad is it

some have used JB weld

but alluminium welding would be better

1 - 5 of 5 Posts