Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 xcsp 700, it is completely stock. I would like to know what gearing comes in it stock and what I should change it to, my weight suited up is around 220-225. I was also wanting to put a boost bottle on it, would I have to change anything and would it be a safe improvement, I don't really want to be worrying about it all the time.

THANKS for any info.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you should have a 25-40 ,you could go 24-40,but you,ll need to buy a chain also,or go to 25-41,24-41 and keep your chain,my buddy has same sled and just went to 24-40 and really likes it,he,s also around 300lbs though,
don,t even consider a bottle ,that sled doesn,t need it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you guys sure of the gearing being 25/40? I thought they were 23/40. I could be wrong but my 99 SKS 700 came with the 23/40 and I went down two on the top. Changed the weights both springs and the helix. Yes, if you are going to change the gearing you may as well change all of these while you are at it,they are all related. Don't you like the way it accelerates now? Gearing down will give you that awesome holeshot you love to feel. I don't think you will need a new chain for one size and you can get away with two unless your chain is already wearing. You will only notice the boost bottle if your sled has the bottom end bog so many of the earlier sled's had. If your jetting is stock you can be sure to go down two sizes anyhow. Mine had to be staggered I am not sure of yours. They always come really fat to be on the safe side. Anyrate good luck and let me know what feedback you get on my opinions.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Gearing your sled down for a holeshot is only as good has your traction if you are gearing the sled down make sure you have the traction to hook up.
Go to the polaris website go to tech then service manual pull up your sled and look at what gears are on the sled stock.

·
Registered
213 Posts
valleyman,,
just so you know,if you dropped down 2 teeth on drop,you should have changed your chain to a 68.it,s not recommended by polaris bacause of the big bend in the chain,i would think it must almost be out of thread on the adjustment,that big bend is also robbing you of a little power

700xcsp
if you drop a1 tooth up top ,get a smaller chain, and try your stock clutching,i was racing my bud with the same sled as you . sat. in +1c temp, checked his plugs,they were dark brown,pretty good jetting for the temp being stock.run it like that a bit in the cold,check your plugs again,should be light brown,cardboard color

·
Registered
33 Posts
XCspecial, you are right! When I read your letter I had to think for a minute. When I changed one tooth things were ok and when I went two teeth I did go to a different chain. :nervous: I will check out my facts better next time, thanks. Ps I found that with the 1 1/4 x 136 on the SKS traction is alot more than what comes with the XC.. unless they have changed. I don't understand why Polaris puts all that power in the 700 XC sled and doesn't put at least a 1 1/4 track on it. I can see a smaller lugged track for the guys who stud them all the time but for most people where I ride none use the studs they all go to the deeper lugged track. What do you think of this opinion? Any rate thanks for the correction and we'll catch you later.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Exactly.short lugs are for studding or top speed radar runs,I,m running a 121 1 1/4 track .going to try 23-41 gearing.this year more interested in the 0-90 range.gearing down from 24-40

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this sled and I'm 220lbs stock is 25/40 I'm running 25/41 more bottom... Boost bottles are a waste of money on the twins. I also have this gearing same as the xcr 23/38 with the chain about 150.00 then clutch it and she pulls real hard. This is what I'm running and believe me I've got some good clutching for this sled. slp single/v force2/air horn / 41sprocket/ torque and push rods cut 36 progressive helix epi purple secondary polaris almond/yellow and 10/62 wieghts 23/38 with epi maroon primary 10/62 epi orange in 3rd hole on a epi 52/40 hilix :hallo1: :hallo1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts