Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Polaris, actually new to any sled newer than a 91. I am looking for some suspension set up help, my sled seems to be pushing when I corner, I have the front springs cranked up all the way and the rear skid set up on I guess the median setting, I am about 180 pounds suited up and about 6' so I sit back on the sled, any suggestions on how to stop the sled from pushing when I try to turn? Most of my riding is semi aggresive trail riding and a little bit of ditch banging. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
New to Polaris, actually new to any sled newer than a 91. I am looking for some suspension set up help, my sled seems to be pushing when I corner, I have the front springs cranked up all the way and the rear skid set up on I guess the median setting, I am about 180 pounds suited up and about 6' so I sit back on the sled, any suggestions on how to stop the sled from pushing when I try to turn? Most of my riding is semi aggresive trail riding and a little bit of ditch banging. Any suggestions would be appreciated[/b]
first thing lower the ski spring preload, the higher is is the worse you corner for the most part, well to a point it can go both ways. second how are your carbides. are you running studs, if so how many. what are the rear blocks set at. how much center shock preload are you running. this is a start. you can get alot of change out ive it but i need to know where your starting at a little better then you stated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I am not running studs but will be installing 120 1.080", I have dual carbides that are looking a little worn but I was thinking of installing 6" shapers (any pro's or con's with the shapers?) I just purchased the sled and haven't really changed the set up at all, put 100miles on it liked the ride didn't like the pushing, the ski springs seem to be up all the way, the limiter straps have about 1/2" - 3/4" play, the suspension adjusters are all set in to the medium position, the only thing I haven't really looked at and just tthought about now is the front skid spring, not sure how far it is cranked.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i made s post on HCS i think was your to. id sy loosen the ski preload. loosen the front track shock preload, set the RRSS block up higher and ride it some. then after that you can make more adjustments. it take time to set something up right for yourself

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Dualies and aggressive riding styles don't mix well in the corners. Thay have a tendency to load up/pack with snow in the middle lifting the carbide right up and riding on the packed snow in the center. Good singles are a much better plan - and Shapers would fall in that category. Just me, but I prefer anything using 1/2" host bar. I ride too many miles, in really marginal conditions on occasion, to spend the long dollar on specialized wear bars that may only see 2-300 miles. Trust me, if you get the front right, you won't need anything too special to make it turn.

Your posting in 2 places makes it difficult to reply. As an over 6' rider I can give a major endorsement to the 2" riser plan for your handlebars. I used to spend a lot of time on the seatback/hump until installing that. With it, I found myself sitting at least 6" further ahead, and found the increased leverage available because of the extra height, to be a major advantage when playing hard. I can't over emphasize that.

The rear coupling stops - some are saying move them forward as a cure for your problem. Suggest you DO NOT do that. The adjustments previously recommended (elswhere) will take care of the issue you describe. Moving them forward will make the ride much stiffer. Stiffer than need be. Think of them like overload springs. Get them out of your way totally, then bring them up as needed to avoid bottoming too often. I think you'll like the way the sled rides and handles much better that way. Make some BIG changes with those so you can relate to what's happening when they are moved. As timespent says "it take time to set something up right for yourself". I would add that patience is required also - but the results with this sled, the potential it has, will totally spoil you when you find the sled's "sweet spot" when loaded with you butt on it, set for your riding style.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As everyone has said, personal fine tuning is what it takes. That said, two things that have worked well on my 2 Edges are one, 8 inch single bar carbides on the skis ( I'm using Woody's 60 degree bars), and two, the front ski springs on all Edge models seem to sack out pretty bad in 2-3 years. I went to the 03 to 05 Pro-X front springs, 90/180 lb. rate, and I like em. I run them with little pre- tension, and in my opinion they reduce the push a lot, and still have a pretty good ride. You can get them from your dealer in red, silver, orange, or gold. They are a little longer, but they will fit well on the older Fox fronts and the newer Ride FX shocks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
As everyone has said, personal fine tuning is what it takes. That said, two things that have worked well on my 2 Edges are one, 8 inch single bar carbides on the skis ( I'm using Woody's 60 degree bars), and two, the front ski springs on all Edge models seem to sack out pretty bad in 2-3 years. I went to the 03 to 05 Pro-X front springs, 90/180 lb. rate, and I like em. I run them with little pre- tension, and in my opinion they reduce the push a lot, and still have a pretty good ride. You can get them from your dealer in red, silver, orange, or gold. They are a little longer, but they will fit well on the older Fox fronts and the newer Ride FX shocks.[/b]
to not the prox wasn ot around in 05. as for the springs the colors are all differnt spring rates. silver would probably be the best. its 110/160 i think. red is 120/180 i think. i dont remember where i put my spring chart. i have both at home right now. the red is a stiffer spring as is stock on a 04 proxr 440. there is also a straight rate prox spring form the regualr pro x. they are red to. IQr springs are great. i run 130 and 150 lb IQr springs now, they are the best springs i have ever riden. the 130 is a great aggesive trail/ jumping spring. im using it on the 660 this year. i run more preload then most people though and much stiffer vavling. ok back to the topic. id first try and see what you can get out of what you got before buying new springs. save some money that way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
OK, OK, I guess I should have said the STOCK spring that comes from the factory on 600-800 Pro-X sleds, and yes tss, I know that Polaris offers a s-load of different springs for racers to use. As you said that can take quite a while testing all those spring rates, let alone the cost. Long story short, I heard more than a few people say that the 05 50th Anniversary 600 Edge ( you know that purplely blue and gold color one) was the best handling Edge they had ever rode, with most of these people trading in an older Edge for the this new 600. So, a few years ago I go off to the dealer to see what is different. Well, there is the 1.25 Ripsaw track, maybe ( thats $400+ ), there is the clicker rear shock, maybe that's it ( that $400 too), and lookey there the front springs are different ( hey, they're only $35 ea., I'll start there), and yes, they look just like the front Pro-X spring. So I have my friendly dealer look up that spring, it's a 90/180 spring that is gold in color. Nah, I don't want a gold color spring, what's the stock spring for a 04 Pro-X 600? It's a 90/180 in red. Great, that will match my red 01 600 Edge X test vehicle. I can't believe you made me look up the PN, which is 7042195-293, red 90/180 spring. I put them on the 600, ride it for the season with the same carbides and ski's, and yes they really made a noticable change for the good, push pretty much gone. Ahead one year, those springs worked soo well on my kids 600, wait, I mean the "test 600", that I want them on my 03 700. Back to the dealer, no I don't want the red or gold color on my blue 700, so what else is out there in the 90/180 range. No yellow, says my dealer, looks like the 04 Pro-XR uses silver, and the 800R came with a orange version. I now know the 80-190 works well on the Edge front end, so I get the silver 90/180 spring for my 700, PN 7042195-385. U paint it springs don't seem to hold up very well, and I don't have a powder coater in my area that does small jobs.

So, the 90/180 spring exists in those colors, I have personal experience on 2 different ( small block and big block) Edge sleds with those springs, and that experience was very good, so I pass this info on to fellow Edge riders. You want to test out other single rate, dual rate, IQ, etc. springs, have at it, because they are available. And yes, 04 was it for the mighty X, my confusion came from the 05 Anni 600 Edge. Sorry, looks like this was the long story. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts