Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start popping holes in my 2002 MXZ 700 Sport track: Anyone out there who has studded that same sled. Anything I should do in terms of tunnel/heat X protection beyond 1inch tunnel protectors and keeping an eye on track tension?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same sled. I'm going to stud it this year too - 144 Gold Diggers in the middle of the track. I don't think you need anything else back there besides taller tunnel protectors.

Are you going to stick with the stock runners up front? I'm going to try it that way for now since my carbides are still in good shape. I think stock on the Precision skis is a 4" on one side and a 6" on the other so that should compensate for the extra traction with the studs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Yellosled - Same deal my friend. I'm also planning on "testing" out the performance of the stock runners. Only have about 350 miles on them thanks to the lack of snow last year! Rather wear these to crap first if they work OK. Anyway, just got my 144 gold diggers in yesterday. I went with the 5/16" and now realize I need the 7MM track cutter for them (not a 5/16 cutter as ordered!). Also going to try out some polymer backers, DUAL / SINGLE pattern. We'll see....Thanks -TT

·
Registered
37 Posts
i studded my 99 mxz600 when i first got it. you need front heat exchanger brackets. they rivet on from the bottom. i also had to move the idler wheels in the tunnel down one notch (had to drill holes to a lower position on the reinf inside the tunnel) i heard they also sell smaller diameter wheels instead of drilling holes. they may have changed that between 99 and 02.

that's my $.02

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also studded my 99 MX6 and put 144 Woody's 1.075 in and had no problems. I changed the heat exchanger protectors to 3/4" units and had no problems (also dropped the wheels but that is no longer an issue on the 2000 and newer models). One thing I did and you may want to try is to place some studs directly under the slides (in the closed windows). this does not cause any problems with the protectors as they are slightly offset from the wondows. these studs not only hook up better but also reduce friction (and hence slider wear) as the metal stud head has a lower friction coefficient than the rubber. good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have just studded my 2000 MXZ 700 and all I did was put in the tunnel protector. I am not sure on the 2002 but on mine you only needed 1 and cut it in half. I am running woodys down the middle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts