Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled uses way to much oil IMO.1 quart in 90 miles and 8 gallons of gas used.I use the bombi oil (non synthetic).How much should the sled use? Can I click down the pump setting if I use good syn oil?What oil would be good for low smoke and doesn't burn the shitt out of your eyes?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
What is your oil pump set at mxz7?  Ladyk is getting about 800kms/tank of oil. Her pump was set at 28mm. we set it too 31mm.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As a rule oil consumption should be around 1 litre per 100 miles. If your sled is new than it wasnt a bad thing to go fat on the oil first few miles.  My new ZR800 first trip out used 2 litres per 100 miles and I ran low on oil in the middle of nowhere and had to tip buddies machine over and steal a liter or so from him to get home(he also has 02 ZR 800).

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can't gauge your oil consumption by the amount of miles ridden. You have to base it on the amount of fuel you burn. A 50:1 mixture is defined as 2.5 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas. The amount of gas used by an 800 twin is going to be vastly different than a 500 twin. If you always gauge your oil consumption by miles, you could be starving your sled of oil. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sled has 800 miles on it now.I never checked the setting,but the dealer set it up and said it will use alot more than my 00 mxz 500,he was right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MX7 i would say take it in to the dealer and let them go through it.my dealer takes the machine back after 10 hours and goes through it.cables stretch,clutches misalign,carbs out of sync,chain stretch,track alignment,that sort of thing.my mxz800  uses 1 litre/100 miles and it has not caused any problems.i ride with a guy with a 2002 mxz 700 and his was also using excessive amounts of oil.get that oil pump checked.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My brother's 02 MXZ 700 doesnt use that much.  How much does it smoke?  You might have you it set at a high oil to fuel mixture.  Might want to call up your dealer and ask them to check it out.  Unless you know how to change it.  Good luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oh, quit complainin' at least yours is ridable!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
don't go taking the sled back for any big loot inspections my 10 hour cost was enough to go away for anther weekend.  

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just finished an oil test and you really should be using either Amsoil Race 2000 or Klotz TCW3, The Amsoil has no smell and the Klotz smells nice. Neither oil burns your eyes at all. Once your sled is warmed up after 15 minutes of riding, if either oil is smoking, your jetted too rich, running 40:1 to 50:1 they don't smoke once your warmed up. You should be around 1 quart for every 10 gallons of gas, so your not that far off. You can turn it down a little. Good Luck and switch oils to whichever one you can get.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fast Mach Z,If I go to a syn. oil,should I run out as much of the other oil as possible before I dump in the syn? I heard a horror story about a guy that switched over and the previous oil mixed with the syn. oil,didn't mix good and the oil turned into sludge and he burned up his motor.

Klotz is more readilly available in my area.What should I expect to pay for a gallon?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I think Ski-doo is being overly conservative on their oil pump settings. In 1998 my MXZ 500 and a friend's FZ 670 were set way too lean. That was the year of "no oil from idle to 1/4 throttle" My dealer told me of a customer's (female) MXZ 500 seizing up solid. She wasn't driving it fast enough to open the oil pump.  

Last year my 2001 MXZ 600 was using an execessive amount of oil. Figuring out how much oil and gas was using while family riding, the gas/oil ratio was 23:1. It took 2 trips to the dealer to get it set so that at the speeds we were running in northern Ontario the ratio was 50:1.

A friend was riding in Quebec with a guy on a 700 Legend. He figured out the ratio to be 30:1, so they stopped at the dealer in Val D'or and had them adjust it.

The mechanic in my case was really leery about going past the lineup marks.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
revrnd,
 i notice you are from apsley, what's it like without ladyk and permafrost in town this weekend ?

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mxz7,
 i never thought of him being a preacher and if he is then he knows permafrost and ladyk for sure. he knows how crazy they are, if they walk in the building will fall down. can you imagine what those are going to think when they read this after they come back from cochrane.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
To those of you inquiring, no I'm not a preacher it's just a nickname I've had for years. My folks live in Apsley and I do most of my riding from there. I get up northern Ontario once a season too.

I don't know the other sledders. What club do they get their permits from? We buy ours from Paudash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts