Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 mxz 800 with apx 4500 mile on original belt, it started fraying while off trail riding in heavy snow last weekend, i didn't think much of it, i've had belt go before, threw a new belt on it, drove about 5 miles a went to stop, and found out i had cruise control, sled would do about 50-10 mph while idling, , i check belt way too tight, right part number , same as old belt and same as what book calls for. belt sitting way high in rear clutch, i'm betting when dealer serviced it at the end of last year he was supose to do reg maintance on clutches, he most likely adjusted rear clutch to worn old belt, now new belt too tight, i understand that can be adjusted and correct my new cruise control, but the wierd thing is, when i try to take off the way it if now belt makes squealing noise but clutch won't engage sometime i cant get sled to move it use to engage about 4200 rpm, now it all over the board, and once you get going if you slow down below 30 mph it tough to gain back any speed sometime have to rev it to 7000 rpm's to get clutch to engage, seems ok once you get to to come on. my question, is. is my front clutch screw up because th rear clutch is out of adjustment???? or is the front clutch not working right either?? there was some frayed belt strings under hood, but not as bad as i've seen before, may have gotten in clutch. were do i start???? thanks

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
i have a 2002 mxz 800 with apx 4500 mile on original belt, it started fraying while off trail riding in heavy snow last weekend, i didn't think much of it, i've had belt go before, threw a new belt on it, drove about 5 miles a went to stop, and found out i had cruise control, sled would do about 50-10 mph while idling, , i check belt way too tight, right part number , same as old belt and same as what book calls for. belt sitting way high in rear clutch, i'm betting when dealer serviced it at the end of last year he was supose to do reg maintance on clutches, he most likely adjusted rear clutch to worn old belt, now new belt too tight, i understand that can be adjusted and correct my new cruise control, but the wierd thing is, when i try to take off the way it if now belt makes squealing noise but clutch won't engage sometime i cant get sled to move it use to engage about 4200 rpm, now it all over the board, and once you get going if you slow down below 30 mph it tough to gain back any speed sometime have to rev it to 7000 rpm's to get clutch to engage, seems ok once you get to to come on. my question, is. is my front clutch screw up because th rear clutch is out of adjustment???? or is the front clutch not working right either?? there was some frayed belt strings under hood, but not as bad as i've seen before, may have gotten in clutch. were do i start???? thanks[/b]
start by pulling the clutch for a good cleaning. then reinstall it. making sure its properly aligned and center distance set correctly. set the belt deflection after install. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
start by pulling the clutch for a good cleaning. then reinstall it. making sure its properly aligned and center distance set correctly. set the belt deflection after install. hope this helps.[/b]
Yea, what he said. Perfect advice. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts