Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey..

I'm new to the group and have a couple questions, I read through the last 9 pages but got tired of looking for any answers so here it is for yer reading pleasure. Sorry if this has all been covered before!!!

#1 Opinions on heel clicker, I am about to fork over the $250 and want opinions from those who have used it before. I do mostly trail, some lake riding. Or other clutch kits which you may recommend is better?

#2 Jetting. I have red a lot of confllicting info on what to do about it. I have everything stock, should I jet lower (safely)? I have read that the manufacturers jet real fat for break in and warranty protection. If so, what should I jet down to? I ride all in the midwest so altitude no big deal, but I have been out quite a few times in -40F weather.... I dont have DPM.

Thanks for your help!!

TT

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would suggest "Thundershift" instead of Heelclickers for a Skidoo. Also, if your out in -40 weather at all, you will not be able to go leaner on your jettng! That is cold!!! Without DPM you will have to run a little rich most of the time so on a cold day you don't have any problems. Now if I can just get some snow in Michigan this year.....

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
you can probably run 2 under safely down to 0f,but I would not try to below that.always check plugs and piston wash when jetting to be safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Where can I find Thundershift? I haven't heard of them before....

Also, someone said I could advance the timing 2 degrees. Is this also a bad idea if riding in those temps?

TT

P.S. It's not common that I ride in -40 but it has happened a few times and I definitely don't want to burn down in those temps!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I think the 02 800 came with the 520N jets. I have run 480s in mine when it was stock, but I would not count on it at -40!!!!! The problem on the 800 twins is not the Top End jetting, it's the mid range. Guys with gages have reported 1050 or 1100 deg on top end (very rich) cut 1200-1250 (right on the edge or meltdown) in the midrange with the same jetting.

The best thing you can do is learn how to check the jetting and fuel wash so that you know the engine is safe.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I have an 02. The jetting from the factory is just about perfect on mine. I won't go any lower and I have Boyesens installed too. I have a set of arms similar to Thundershift, but of my own making and I like those much better than stock. Smooths out the engagement a lot. I will be making some of these soon if interested.

Just check plugs and wash before and after you do anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run 500 mains in my 02 with the timing bumped 1 degree with good colour,I have carbon tech m/t reeds.I run 19 grams in the pins with the stock primary spring and a 54/46 helix with the stock secondary spring.This worked good,but this winter i'm going to the 03 secondary spring(shorter).I,d like to try the thunder shift arms,but don't want to by them because they won't work in the new TRA 3(planning to by a REV ) :devil:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, newbie question of the week...

How do I check wash? I understand checking the plug colot but not wash....do the heads need to come off for this? If so, do I need to replace the gasket?

Thanks!

TT

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can get the Thundershifts at Cudney Racings web site. Also, for wash, you have to look in the spark plug hole with a Bend a lite and check the piston top. Stay on these boards and you will end up seeing pictures of good wash. Usually every year someone posts them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good luck trying to read the wash on the series 3 engines. I haven't
been able to do it reliably. I don't know what it is, but its hard to see
the wash at the transfer ports. I bought an EGT just to be safe. And
800MXZ is right on regarding the temps in the midrange. I now
run a 942 needle instead of the stock one as its a little safer. This
year, I'm going to round slides as even the flat slides were hard
to jet. I'll post results when I have them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I forgot to comment on the heelclickers vs. the thundershift
kit. Both have about the same feel on a stock sled. I just
like the adjustability of the heelclickers. I can change
it for engine mods, top end, or midrange trail. Of course, I
like to tinker with things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the great info, now all I need is snow......2 more months!

I think I am going to go with a cudney clutch kit with the thundershift kit. That gives me room to play with it (and learn!) Then tinker with the jets when I get a nice cold day...

Thanks!

TT

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where do you ride if its -40? My riding has a lot of -40 or cooler here in Northern Alberta. I have a '02 MXZ800X as well and last year installed a Thundershift kit and V-Force reeds in it.
Right now I am ordering up a RKT head, just removed the cylinders for porting and polishing, installing a single Dynoport pipe and a Pyro 2000 egt guage.
After thinking back to last year I will be wise to install some studs. The rear of that machine does not want to follow the precision skis!
Couple of questions for you guys. What studs do you recomend? How many? The other question is regarding the engine. When I removed the cylinders I noticed a capped off port on the PTO side of the crank which appears as thou one could hook up an oil line for that bearing. Any idea what that port is for? Its coming right behind the clutch, on a 90 degree angle with a white cap on it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by idooski@Oct 3 2002, 06:54 PM
This is about how I like to see it. Just a shade to the safe side. Do you guys agree
I'm with you Idooski, a little on the safe side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I ride in northern wisconsin (near Eagle River), but it seems to me that the bad cold snaps tend to coincide with my trips up there. Last year wasn't bad, but the year before I ran out of gas near the UP border and it was -40 F. Three weeks later, we were riding in about -30 F. So I am just making sure that my jetting will be safe for that. I am the type of person that likes to start her up and take her out and not mess around with jetting everytime I go out. I don't get to go that much so when I do I don't want to be in the garage for a half hour.

I purchased 192 Power Point 1.080" Stud Boys at the Grayslake, IL show for $288. That was with backers included. I have used them once before and didn't have any problems at all. As far as the question with the port....I am the WRONG person to be asking. I am just trying to lear this stuff. I am finding there are very little resources to help in the learning process. (Except newgroups like this). But a picture is worth a 1000 words and there arent many out there step by step.

TT

·
Registered
240 Posts
A friend of my snowcrosses and recommended Fast Track Top Gun II studs with round plastic backers. I figured if they can run snowcross, they must be good. They are. There stainless steel, so they dont rust. They have been extremely durable and they are light weight. Bent a few, but generally very few problems. I like to run 96 down the middle. Just enough for safety on ice and a little extra hook up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
idooski, That is a fantastic picture of piston wash. That has a safety margin for general trail riding. You can hit wet heavy snow or have the temp drop 15 to 20 degrees and not fry the motor. I think your setup is perfect!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts