Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a durable sled to jump and mess around with, sounds like a great deal-exept no oil injection, probably worth it
i just want to put pump gas in it, and have a reliable strong sled
is it picky on jetting, clutching, anything I would or could have problems with
how terrible is the gas mileage
is there a problem with the stock suspension
is it a lot of extra work compared with a consumer sled
thanks for any help or info

·
Registered
75 Posts
My son has an 02 MXZX 440 he got mostly for trail riding. For that situation the shocks are a bit stiff, this thing is valved for Blair Morgan, Just had it revalved by Fett Bros. On the trail it ripps, passing most anything corner to corner. Clutching and jetting d'ont seem to be a problem, roller secondary works great. We added oil injection for about 300.00 and about 3-4 hours. If you ride it on the trails keep in mind it is easy to steal without a key or DESS cord probably a great sled for jumping

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 99 MXZx 440 which I trail ride. Yes, the shocks are too stiff for trail riding, especially with the 99's because of their falling rate skids. They are great for moguls, but stutter bumps will just about buck you off the damn thing. However, I just had them revalved by Goodwin Performance.

The pre-mix thing is really no big deal, since my 10 gallon gas tank takes 1 quart to 10 gallons (40:1). I just put in some oil, put in the gas and shake it up. I bought a PowerMadd oil caddy which I mounted in the front of the engine compartment to carry oil. It works great. Don't put the oil in the trunk, since when it breaks open, it is a real mess (I know all too well). The mileage sucks though. When you are in tight twisties, it is not too bad, coming in around 10-11 MPG, but if your trail includes any 70-80 mph railroad grades, it drops down to around 8 MPG. With a 10 gallon tank, you better not pass up too many gas stations.

Also, watch the position of the brake lever when you are sitting. The bar riser was so high that it gave me really nasty arm pump, until I repositioned it back a little.

If you can put a longer snow flap on it, do so. With the deep lug track, it roosts really bad. Not only does it spray your friends really bad, it ejects ice and rocks out at high velocity. :devil:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check out Bestsnocross.com classifieds for 2002's that are
in the 4000 range. And yes, you should trail ride it. It's the best
sled made for trail riding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Or you can do want I did. Take a regular MXZX 600, 700 or 800 and revalve the shocks and replace the springs to 440x specs.
Now you will have a sled that rides the same as a 440x but has oil injection and DESS. No major jetting problems, no mixing oil and you can add performance stuff if you like.
The sled will also have better resale value. Most people who look at used 440x's always question if it has been raced. A good(or bad) dealer can clean a race sled up pretty good and sell it as never raced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts