Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend just bought a 2002 600 xc and we found that the needle had been changed 0ne position so it would run leaner but it idled at about 4000 rpms. I put it back to stock and it idles at 1800 rpm.The thing is that I never checked the gas mileage before I put it back to stock but afterward she was only getting 10 mpg (canadian gallon).My question is do most people with this machine run it leaner and forget about the idle or are there other things you do to improve gas mileage? Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
The 600 loves her gas, especially at higher speeds. As it's an XC, I'll assume that it doesn't have the m10 suspension, so that's not causing the problem. I'm not fully aware of the setup of the 600 on an XC, or a 2002 at that, but I do know perhaps one of the best ways to improve mileage is to modify the clutch (clutch spring kit) to help prevent over-revving and improve gas mileage at those higher speeds where the 600 typically chugs her fuel.

Limiting your speed to 45mph should render better mileage... but this is an XC we're talking about... if it's anything like the 500 you'll see your best mileage ABOVE 50mph, not bellow it. My brother's 500 XC/SP 2005 model doesn't like any speeds bellow 50mph, but keep it above 50mph and unless we're on hills he gets better mileage than my CFI, vs typically my CFI gets better mileage than his 500 carbed.

I'm not sure how modifying the carbs improves mileage... I'm aware that it can be done, but there's the risk of damage along with it. Obviously the stock setting will give you longetivity. But, 10mpg is normal for the 600.

I'd do a little more research... I don't see how idling at 4000 rpm can give you better mileage... it's got to be over-revving. Besides... all the sleds I know clutches engage before 4000 rpm anyway... how was it not running away on you??? Check your belt for wear, it can affect your mileage as well.

Hopefully... something I've said will help. For the most part, ask your local dealer for options to improve gas mileage, and see what they have to say. It's worth asking. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 2004 Pro X 600 VES, and I'm under the assuption that your 600 is a VES also. Although my suspension is a little more cushy than that of an XC, I don't think your going to see great fuel economy with it unless ur doing under 50 the whole day. I went for a ride with my uncle, not the fastest rider, had it under 50 most of the day and got something like 100 miles or so to say 5/8th's or 3/4 of a tank. Then riding the next day with the 1/4 or more I had left with all my buddies jumping and playing around, I might have gotten 25-30 miles if I was lucky before she was on reserve. I guess it's all really according to your riding style with the 600 VES, heck, with any sled you ride(obviosly). If you do a lot of trail riding, you're not going to find it that hard on gas. Playing around and jumping on the other hand, which I mostly do, isn't going to be that friendly on the wallet. I've also heard that VForce 3 Reeds, while boosting performance, can also help fuel economy. And if you have RoundSide Carbs, you can cheak out a UFO (Ultimate Fuel Optimizer) from SLP, which also can help fuel economy ( http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalo...p;productID=374 ) But hey, you only get 3 or 4 months of sledding a year, so you gotta use it to the max. As long as you have fun :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts