Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 2002 Sno Pro 440F with studs and about 10 race miles on it from a dealer who bought it for is son. How picky is it on jetting, what jetting are you running, what oil? Any setup tricks? How fast and or quick is it. I have a 2000 MXZ 600 and it's great, but I am not happy with the suspension or running board strength, I love to jump but am not worried too much about going faster than 85 mph. Will it bog down in 2ft of snow if I ever found that much. I weigh about 170.

Thanks for any info

jamie Fargo ND

·
Registered
518 Posts
The fan cooled snopro is a great sled. My friend has a 2001 and I got to ride it when we went to the UP last winter. Great for rough and twisty trails. The running boards are much better than my 99 snopro. wider and stiff. The ski stance is also wider and it is a very stable machine. It felt almost easier to stand sometimes the way it was set up. I didn't get a chance to really jump it though because we couldn't find a good one. It gave me confidence that it would be a good jumping machine though.
I don't think he's had any trouble with it, and as far as jetting goes, I don't think he changed it all season.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
SWRules

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've never had the chance to ride one but they look like very good sleds. The only downfall I could see with the sled is that it's fan cooled and so it wont run perfect when warm,but oh well. Most new fan sleds, as long as jetted well will run very good no matter what. Just last weekend I looked at one when I was at a dealership and I liked the feel. It made me feel like I wouldn't need to sit down. Overall I think it's a very good sled!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 98' Z440, before i got my ZR, and that was the coolest little sled, it was a great jumper even though it was just the trail sled, my friend has a 2001 Z snopro and as far as speed goes they are the same, about 82mph they also have the same motor, just diff clutching and gearing, and suspention, i could keep up with my friends 97 ZL 440 LC until we would get into a little deeper snow on a lake or going across a field, but let me tell you they are awsome on the trails and I bet my life the FOX shocks on the SNOPRO will be awsome, and don't worry about the warm weather, i never had a problem, i put 4000 miles on sense 98 when i bought it. this summer before i sold it i pulled the engine apart and the pistons we not scored, the rings were just a little worn which you can expect after 4000 mile, and you know what kind of warm no snow winters we have had. so i would recommend it. SWRules

·
Registered
959 Posts
i have seen this sled in action and its a nice all around sled great for quick stops starts and turns

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info
anyone else have top speed figures for 2002 Snopro Fans
how do you use the adjustable timing feature they have
how warm is too warm ride the fans
does running good synthetic oil help keep it a little cooler
will it bog down bad in deep snow

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends on your definition of deep snow. We rode in very deep fluff, I'm talking 54 inches in three days that compressed down with settling to about 3 feet of deep powder by the time we were in the fields. The snow was so deep it was piling up on the front of our sleds and the ZR440 Liquid (not fan) and ZR600 that we were riding could get stuck as we were plowing snow in front of our sleds. If we slowed we could get stuck in that stuff because our sled were trail sleds and didn't have a huge long track to ride on top off all the fluff. We did work the engines to keep going at 30 to 40 miles an hour with 97 hp for the liquid 440 and 108 hp for the ZR600.

In those conditions any sled can bog down in the sense that snow piled in front and on top of your hood can stop you if you slow down enough. The 440 liquid was spinning maybe at a higher RPM to go the same speed. The ZR600 may have had 10 MPH faster speed in the deep powder I'm describing at full power, but neither bogged down as long as we stayed on the throttle. Considering the experience we've seen with FAN sleds, the 440 in the same condition wouldn't bog, but it probably wouldn't have a very high top end in very deep powder either because your talking about under 70hp. The 82 miles an hour figure must be for a fan 440 with more power than the 440 fan I rented (a 98 fan). That fan sled didn't go over 70 miles an hour, but I think the 440 sno-pros are faster than a standard 440. I'm not sure that 82 miles an hour is realistic, it surely won't be near that in deep powder. For deep powder riding you might be better off with a liquid if you want to go fast.

For jumping, my one friend had a 440 sno-pro fan for one season before going for the liquid. It jumps nice. Yes the lighter weight of the 440 fan is great for jumping and taking moguls at high speeds because the front end is so darn light. The thing about fans however to keep in mind is to "get up to speed" your accellorating a bit further back on the trail, etc before you hit the bump because it takes a while for the sled to open up. A 440 Liquid will "Braaap Braaap" and take off at a higher speed by hitting the throttle closer to the jump. The horsepower makes a difference.

Although the 440 liquid has a lot more power, that horsepower is in a narrow band that it's clutched for compared to bigger displacement engines. So a 440 liquid will be every bit as fast up to 60 miles an hour as a ZR600 (not an XC600). From 60 to 90, the 600 will leave the 440 liquid. Of course the 440 fan is behind all of these. I'm talking about liquids more because we've been riding them lately.

We've had Z370 fans, a 440 Fan (1999), a Zr440 liquid, a ZR600 SE, a clutched an trail ported T-Cat. They all have their advantages and disavantages obviously. The fans are fun to jump and throw around. As far as riding them in warm weather, we've never had a problem with the fans sleds. From time to time one plug would look like it burned leaner on the FAN, but we've had no engine problems from the fan sleds we've had. Rental places here in michigan buy and rent a lot of fan sleds and speak highly of them for dependability. At least I can say that of the cat dealers I've seen who rented 440 fans.

Hope this helps some.

Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also I might add that we often have ridden in 2 to 3 feet of snow that is deep powder but the lower levels below 6 or 8 inches were compressed and the sleds would only sink down maybe 6 or 8 inches to the heavier layers. These are typical conditions off trail in the UP near Paradise. Under these snow conditions you'd never have a complaint with a fan Sno-Pro.

The other conditions were all powder from 3 days of continous snowing that happened near Pellston last year during a lake effect blizzard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts