Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Can any of you folks tell me what kind of track speed you are getting on 2002 Summit 800RER 144 in the deep snow up the side of the mountain. My sled is only giving 60 Klicks (36 MPH)which think is very poor, especialy when my 98 700 RMK with a 141x2" Camo did 45 MPH.
I have the clickers set at 5 and am using the 99$ belt (ribbed top) also the RPM is not getting much past 7700. But it goes extremly well on hard pack and I get 79-8000 RPM.
All up dates are done, and am getting good milege.
Any help in this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chuck

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I'm no mountain expert, but I think all you need to do is clutch your sled better for your elevation. Sounds like maybe you are inefficient somewhere. I think with the 800's you want it to spin at 7950rpm for maximum performance. I think for mountain riding you pobably want the softer 067 belt from SkiDoo ( I think its the 067 that is softer, I always get confused between the two)

Whatever it is...fix it so you beat that Polaris!!

Last edited by Rocketman at April 29, 2002, 10:29am

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beating a Polaris with my sled just will not happen unless the Pol si running on 1 cyl.
By the way one of my Doo friends is convinced thar the had belt works better.
Thanks
Chuck.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Don't lose hope...a summit can beat an rmk
Just figure out why yours is so slow

A harder belt would slip more, especially under load. I think you should try the softer belt. It grabs better and keeps clutch heat down. And with the backshift of a mountain sled, that's exactly what you need. Harder belts are better for flat land racing, where there is not so much gravity working against you, and the sled accelerates faster.

Last edited by Rocketman at April 29, 2002, 7:02pm

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sled is the same model as yours. I typically have 80 km/h track speed. Now that the snow is getting heavier it sometimes drags down to 65km/h at the apex of the climb. My clutch has been on no. 3 since it broke in. I geared down to 19/43 early on and it eliminated the advantage my buddies 151 '02 summit had (he also has 80km/h track speed). I also jetted down to 480.

I finally had the updates done after riding all season. 1/4 throttle EGT temps. dropped 150*F and full throttle about 25*F.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts