Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a 2002 Viper, it overheats when rode when there is not a lot of snow.
Does Yamaha have any fix under warrenty?

Thanks in advance

Bill

·
Registered
287 Posts
put snow on the running boards, my Mountain max on hard snow, no powder will get warm. As you know the radiators are on the running boards, put snow on it and it should cool it down, you shouldn't have any heating problems on a sled that new.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm pretty sure they had a bulletin for this and they were adding a another heat exchanger.I know that if you installed the bender pipe kit etc that you definately had to do this.Hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
That has been a problem with the VIPERS ever since they have come out. They are well aware of the problem. Contact your local dealer or a dealer that sells yamaha :thumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
there were a very few vipers with overheating problems – (I think there is a poll on the subject somewhere on this forum…)

most were caused by poor dealer prep, but modifying the motor can also cause overheating- and if you did do mods then the additional exchanger would be advised-

if you are running a stock sled you don't need an additional heat exchanger

if you have the 3 year warranty get the dealer to bleed the coolant system, then have him check the thermostat, water pump, and pressure cap. (You should be under warranty until December 01 regardless of when you purchased your ER.

of course you might have gotten a sled with major problems but it sure doesn’t sound that way-

BTW - we put on about 1500 miles last year, ALL in very marginal conditions, warm weather and still, I never overheated

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
A friend of had his overheat w/ good snow conditions. I think they bled the system on the trail & it was fine after that.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I stand corrected appparently he was still having problems after the bleeding. His machine is stock & he is paying 99 bucks CDN to have the dealer install the extra exchanger. Should this not be a warranty issue?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Revrnd does your buddy have a Skid plate? I ask and did before with no reply from rcpilot1 because yes they overheat and yes the only thing the dealer can do is bleed them. No yamaha does not give or suggest a rear exchanger on a stock sled, but they have a sale on srx rear heat exchangers ;) Also the lights have come on but the sleds were not overheating but thats not the case with our sled, it did indeed overheat at 9 degrees with fresh snow . I ask because the skid plate, if not installed proper will help cause ice to form over the front exchanger insulating it if you will and stop fresh snow from making hitting the exchanger. If you have one make sure it is tight to the belly and doesnt over extend to the front heat exchanger. If you put a rear heat exchanger on a STOCK sled you my change some of the engine settings becuase now the sled will run cooler than engines programed situations. :blahblah: HOPE THAT HELPS SOME BODY

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I don't think it has a skidplate. His dealer has suggested this so I ASSUME they know what adjustments to make.

·
Registered
496 Posts
As long as it stops overheating is all that matters :thumbsup: To bad its not a warranty issue that heat exchange cost some

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the Dealer does not know about the update, have him look in his 03 Tech Update book. There is a different part number than what would be the normal part number for the rear heat exchanger, this is so the rear heat exchanger price is only $50 instead of the normal $179. The installation is not covered, I guess that is why there is a price break on the heat exchanger. Most guys are installing them themselves, it is not that hard, all you have to do is replace the crossover tube with the heat exchanger and rivet it to the tunnel.

I have never had a overheat problem with my Viper, even with it being long tracked. And running in hardpack conditions, no problems. Good thing, the heat exchanger they have in the kit will not work on my Viper, only on short tracks. I would need a Mountain Max heat exchanger, they are flat to the tunnel, instead of curving down the back.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My cousin is a yamaha dealer and i thought he said 50 but someone told me or i saw it some were more so i thought i misheard him. The rest of which I wrote is BLA,BLA,BLA all the stuff i read and hear but im right with ya to put the rear heat exchanger on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a common problem with the Viper from what I hear from various dealers and consumers that I have talked with. I have a 2002 Viper and haven't had an issue with this myself. I contacted the dealer where I purchased the sled and they said they are aware of the problem and Yamaha has a rear heat exchanger kit similar to the SRX rear heat exchanger that they are offering for $55. I think they should have had a recall on it and/or offer the kit free of charge. I am going to purchase the kit just to be on the safe side. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with an overheated sled. I think all Viper owners should invest in this kit for the same reason.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts