Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife picked up a left over 2002 Z440, obviously these are not performance sleds, but she wants to dress it up a bit. She would like a screen kit but I read on Cat's site they don't recommend putting screen kit on fans...has anyone else heard this or have any knowledge of anyone putting a screen kit in the fans. I can't imagine that it would restrict the air flow that much to cause problems, but maybe it would.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, :yee:

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I have seen Screen kits on like a 96,97 Z 440. I dont know what truth that holds... Your best bet would be to ask a dealer who does alot of repairs. Dealers with big shops have usually seen "everything" your only other option would be to make your own screen kit with larger style holes. I do agree though... there would be a sufficient decrease in air volume, but this is the way to find out

·
Registered
483 Posts
Think this came up last year too, and if I remember same answers were given. Cat says you shouldn't do it, but some guys were running them anyway. Probably has more to do with a warranty issue than a performance issue. Do they have screens on their fan mountain sled?

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Theres no screen kit on the Mountain Cat 570.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought my wife a brand new 2000 z 440 es 2 years ago. She wanted the same thing, dress up the sled. I found an aftermarket screen kit, bought it and put it in before winter last year. I was always nervous about the restriction in air. The dealer told me I should have no worries. The holes in this screen kit (fron JR GRAHAM) are pretty small. Fortunately due to the lack of snow last year the sled had no miles put on it. About 2 weeks ago I made up my mind. Understand that the sled is all black with a green stripe that goes up the hood off center to the right. The screens I bought are green. The hood opening that has the air scoop underneath does not have the green stripe over it. So I simply removed the one hood screen that was covering the hood scoop inlet. The paint is all black around that area anyways and right next to that inlet is the matching one with a screen and the green stripe goes over that inlet. It works for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you happen to have a picture of that fan sled and a web address to the screen maker?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Cat makes screen kits for all the fans from the same material as the liquids. Its not a very restrictive design. When I started riding there were 4 of us running a 94jag440, 97jag440, 98 z440, and 97Puma340. We all had screen kits from AC on our sleds and ran that way for several years putting about 2-3000 miles on each(The free time you have when your younger). We never had any trouble. They stoped alot of grass, seeds, and cattails from getting in. Just make sure you keep them cleaned off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with, ZR500, Two Years ago I had a 98' Z440 when doing any kind of deep snow riding (we had deep snow?) i noticed that on the intake for the fan screen would get pluged with snow, i bought me kit from HPerf.com, so it looks cool but just becarfull. SWRules

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd put them in, but remove them if riding in warmer weather. Say anything over 35 fahrenheit. The ducting under the hood on today's fans is much better than the past. You shouldn't have a problem.

I'll be lookin for ya out on Buffalo Run!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya I have a 2003 z 440 sno pro and i have a screen kit on it. i dont see y it is so called bad for it. the engin still gets cool air. theres realy no difrence. the screen kits are in my opionion are just for looks. but its what she wants to do. its all her choice. but there isnt any thing wrong with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts