Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a chance to buy a 2002 zr 800 efi cross country. it has 500 miles on it. the guy is asking $5,200.00 is that a good price. would you buy it? what is the top speed of it. or tell me what you think of the sled.
  Thanks,
            Andrew

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The 02 800 cce efi's had trouble with a residue in the gas tank.  From what i've heard the fix isn't to tough.  Someone on here should know for sure or talk to your local dealer.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think that is a good deal.  Think the sled listed for a little over $8000.00 new, should have been able to buy it for around $7000.00 new.  If those numbers are close, then $5200.00 is a deal, especially for efi.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I think it is a good price.  Ask Snow Monkey about the sled.  He can tell you all the things to look out for(he had a lemon)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well, Here we go again,

Make sure you clean out the tank!!Take it right off and clean it properly or if you trust your dealer, get him to do it!! Some people have had problems with  contaminated fuel tanks(me one of those lucky people)The contaminate plugs the "smart valves on the end of the fuel pump, then starves the pump and engine of fuel and on and on!!This was a pretty wide spread problem that Cat did nothing to fix!!

Other Problems included.....Front Skid Frame Shock leakage
                                    Temperature sensor
                                    Servo motor for power valves
                                    Recoils breaking
                                    botttom coolant hose breakage due to rubbing and on and on

I haven't hit 1000 miles on my machine and have had everything go but the coolant hose and the recoil!!
Some people have had excellant luck with these machines and some have not!!! They are very nice machines when they work properly and have good power and a decent ride!!!

My suggestion would be to flip a coin to decide and hope for the best  

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snow Monkey @ Sep. 10, 2002, 12:54am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Well, Here we go again,

Make sure you clean out the tank!!Take it right off and clean it properly or if you trust your dealer, get him to do it!! Some people have had problems with  contaminated fuel tanks(me one of those lucky people)The contaminate plugs the "smart valves on the end of the fuel pump, then starves the pump and engine of fuel and on and on!!This was a pretty wide spread problem that Cat did nothing to fix!!

Other Problems included.....Front Skid Frame Shock leakage
                                    Temperature sensor
                                    Servo motor for power valves
                                    Recoils breaking
                                    botttom coolant hose breakage due to rubbing and on and on

I haven't hit 1000 miles on my machine and have had everything go but the coolant hose and the recoil!!
Some people have had excellant luck with these machines and some have not!!! They are very nice machines when they work properly and have good power and a decent ride!!!

My suggestion would be to flip a coin to decide and hope for the best  
[/b][/quote]
I have the carb edition. 1500 miles. Great sled. That price is cheap. I snowchecked mine at 7600 out the door. I can't say I would sell mine right now for only 5200. But that's me. As far as problems. I don't consider the front skid shock a problem because it has been known to do it since they started putting them on and I got 1500 miles out of mine and I need to rebuild anyway. Didn't have anyother problems. Knock on Wood. Well, my thumb warmer doesn't work that great but it still works. Gonna be tearin it down soon so I can tell you if I broke anything or if anything is cracking later. But all in all its been a great sled. Strong runner. I just wouldn't want the efi.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
OH Yeah, Make sure you like a stiff ride. Its a Ditch bangin machine. That's what it was made for. If you don't like stiff get a ZL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2000 miles on mine and of all the residue and smart valve problems that people have had, I have not had any problems other that a right front shock leak and a wire shorting out at the handlebar. I frickin love this machine!!!!!! If I could afford another one I would have 2 of them. I love to ride and this machine has never disapointed me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's exactly the deal I was looking for at the end of last year but I couldn't find.  So I got anxious and ordered a 900.  Basically the same machine less the EFI.  I did want the EFI but they didn't offer it in the 900.  I ended up spending an extra $2500 over what you can pick that machine up for.  Oh yeah, I wanted black though, what color is the one you can get?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (02800Efi @ Sep. 10, 2002, 5:33pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how fast does it go?
Thanks,
    Andy
[/b][/quote]
The fastest I have had mine and I weigh in at 230 lbs. and it wasn't that cold out. was around 105-110 on the speedo and I know that is not correct. Mine is totally stock, not even rejetted. If it was rejetted and colder, I would think I could get 115 or more out of it. What are others getting.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
On GPS and geared down to 23/40 My friends 800 EFI was 105 mph and it wasnt cold out either. Mine with the BM clutch kit was way faster to 80 but I toped out at 97 that day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts