Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what r u guy,s paying for your new plug,s 12.00 here.And can u use the regular BRNes plug have herd of people using them what do u think.?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The dealer will recommend that you use the costly ones.  I ran the regular BR9ES last year in my 02 800 GADE with NO problems at all.  They cost me $17CAD for a box of 10

I do gap them correctly though at 0.018

·
Registered
132 Posts
I fouled a lot of the expensive plugs last season.  If this keeps happening I'm switching to regular 9ES plugs

·
Registered
935 Posts
I use the New plugs recommended after the recall for 800 cc for 2001 sleds. NGK BR9ES I think it is but I am paying $7 a plug. I was told NOT to gap them but leave them as is and have had no fouling problems unless I am under 5K rpm too long then they do get gunked up and I have to find open space to to run WOT for a short period.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The expensive plug is a BR9ECS and I too am paying around $7.  I was told they come pre-gapped and I did not foul one last year.  I have not fouled a plug in the last 4 seasons.  I attribute that to dpm.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Are these expensive plugs going to be required on '03 sleds also (REV 600)?
My last sled (Indy 500) used cheap plugs, Br9es, and never fouled one in 6 years. I hope I don't need to buy shares in NGK just to keep up. Anyone I know with a Skidoo always seemed to foul more plugs than me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your right 2tone800x, its BR9ECS on my 800. Wife uses the other. The sled originally used the ES before the recall.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Last year I changed my plugs once, after 2000km just cause I have 3 boxes of new NGK's.The plugs (br9ecs) looked fine but I changed them anyways and put in the br9es.Sled ran flawlessly last year and this year I will put in br9es again. If you are fouling plugs alot turn your injector pump down a wee bit or drive faster

·
Registered
101 Posts
all i run in BR10ES's and have no prob's my brother doesn't run anything but BR9ECS i have had no fouling probs(using them on a race sled, so the sled almost never runs rich) so IMO i don't find a diff between the two, except ones twice the price

·
Registered
110 Posts
Q: is there a differents in proformance between the 2 plugs?? Can the BR9ECS be used in my 99 mxz 600.. ? What is so special about the expensive plugs? ( heat range or something?) SWRules

·
Registered
364 Posts
I run NGX br9es. I have never had a problem with these plugs

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is the scoop on the ECS vs. ES plugs. The ECS plugs are designed so that they will not send electronic interference to possibly foul up the electrical system. They are shielded some how to keep an magnetic or static charges from "crossing" over to the computer system. This is especially true for anthing with the DPM system. This was a change made due to some interference problems in the past. You cannot mix and match the plugs, nor is it a good idea to run the standard BR9ES in their place. Would you rather pay $7 now, or $500 later when you replace the CDI?

Anyways, I ran the stock plugs in my 02 MXZ 700 Adreneline, and they were always perfect. Plug performance is based solely on a proper air/fuel mixture. If you do not have the jetting right for the conditions, you could possibly foul out plugs, especially if you are running too rich or at a low RPM for extended amounts of time. If you vary your RPM, it helps. Also, DPM helps compensate for the jetting issues (within a given range about 0-40 degrees farenheit). If you operate in other ranges, you need to change the main jet to compensate. (same with altitiude changes)

I always jet for the occassion with all of my sleds, so I cannot remember the last time I fouled a plug.

By the way, it is ALWAYS important to gap your plugs since they do not come pre-gapped. Most plugs just happen to be gapped around .025-.030, but that is a function of their manufaturing, not pre-gapping. I have seen plugs come out of the box with no gap, and as high as .050 - I would rather take the 30 seconds to gap them instead of the possibility of detonation. :nervous:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Put it this way...I don't think it would hurt. As far as any benefit, I don't know. To my knowledge, the ECS's have been put on the sleds with DPM. I would imagine that they would be more at risk of an electrical interference.

·
Registered
720 Posts
the br9esc has nothing to do with the "sheilding or the electronics". That is the "R" 5k ohm resistor that is in all b"r" NGK plugs. The ecs is the special ground electrode that is shorter (shorter heat path to the head) and has a different bend in it that allows doo's tight gap without bending over so far. The problem was Doo had a spec of .018 but ngk advised .020 should be the min because .018 had it bent over too far which could stress the plating and cause a hot spot at the bend. It also gives the ground electrode a weird angle at the center positive electrode and is often nicked by the bender. The br9es is still fine to run, just gap it a .020 and be carefull not to nick the electrode when bending it. Doo now advises the br9ecs in all applications and advises to install "as is", this eliminates the possibility of a nick from the gap tool. The shorter electrode also gives shorter path to the head for the heat so they tend to run a tad colder than the es plugs. For someone that is running way rich thay may be more prone to load up or foul than the old es.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jiddru, I know what you are saying about the plugs and interference. The MPEM is the on board computer that gets destroyed, and they say it is from using spark plugs that have the terminal on top that you can srew on and off, it becomes loose and causes shorts, detroying your MPEM. If you use the regular BR9ES with the solid tip on top you would probably be fine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
has anyone found the BR9ECS with a solid top???

Also Hillpounder's post about the difference between these plugs
is close to what I read about them.. I pay a little over 3 bucks at part's america.

Evel

·
Registered
720 Posts
The br9ecs I got from the doo dealer were solids. Yamaha was using them before skidoo so thier dealers may have them too. wildbill at another site told me the bpr9es or bpr10es is the best plug to use in the series3 and 670ho-x style heads, says it helps the stock head. Haven't tried them so i cant comment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I may try the ecs plugs this winter just for the hell of it. I will start with the old ones and then change them out half way through a ride to see if it makes a difference. Probably not but might aswell try it. :hallo1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts