Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is my first post, the trails are starting to open up here, with that I need help. I only got one ride last year and this is what happen. It was a cold morning and the sled started no problem, as I was leaving the drive way the sled shut of. I pulled it again and she fired upagain no problem. As soon as I got on the trail the sled only would go 15mph and I would put it to the bar and she would take off and then only go 15 mph again, this went off for 8 or 9 times. I got it back to the drive way and checked everything and all looked good. So I started off again and all was good. About 80 miles into the trip we hit a lake and I went wide open and I was going around 105 mph and it was like I hit the kil switch , she was dead. I sat on the lake for a min or two and though I will try to start it. First pull it went and I finshed the ride with no other problems.
Can anyone help me, I hope to try to fix this before I go for a little ride on Saturday. Thanks for your help.
JT

·
10,054 Posts
sounds electrical to me,,, ecu acting up maybe?? is your speedo flashing any codes??

·
Registered
177 Posts
that's definatly an ECU problem assuming its an EFI... Take it to a dealer and have them scan it for problems... those things are also prone for the fuel pumps quitting... have it scanned... chances are for the 75$ - 100$ it costs to scan it, it is worth it instead of trying to replace parts here and spend money there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's definatly an ECU problem assuming its an EFI... Take it to a dealer and have them scan it for problems... those things are also prone for the fuel pumps quitting... have it scanned... chances are for the 75$ - 100$ it costs to scan it, it is worth it instead of trying to replace parts here and spend money there.[/b]
Thanks will give that a try.

·
10,054 Posts
not sure about fuel problems on the 03's,,, I have had no problems with mine and honestly dont recall hearing of problems with them. I am not saying they didnt, only that I have never heard of problems. The problems with the fuel system is usually the smart valves,,, this could also be your problem.

You have 2 smart valves in your fuel tank,,, if they think (cough cough) they sense water, they will close up pretty quick. The 04's have a little different set up (more like an update of the 03) that supposedly works better.

You may want to fish the smart valves out of your tank, clean them up real good, and then pop them back in.
The problem with them has something to do with the spring compressing rematurely. I have been told to simply take the disc that is behind the screen out and throw it away,,, I did not do that to mine, I just got the newer discs and havent had any problems with mine since.

You may wanna check them out before paying high $$ for having the ecu looked at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure about fuel problems on the 03's,,, I have had no problems with mine and honestly dont recall hearing of problems with them. I am not saying they didnt, only that I have never heard of problems. The problems with the fuel system is usually the smart valves,,, this could also be your problem.

You have 2 smart valves in your fuel tank,,, if they think (cough cough) they sense water, they will close up pretty quick. The 04's have a little different set up (more like an update of the 03) that supposedly works better.

You may want to fish the smart valves out of your tank, clean them up real good, and then pop them back in.
The problem with them has something to do with the spring compressing rematurely. I have been told to simply take the disc that is behind the screen out and throw it away,,, I did not do that to mine, I just got the newer discs and havent had any problems with mine since.

You may wanna check them out before paying high $$ for having the ecu looked at.[/b]
I will try that first, but have you ever had this type of problem before?

·
10,054 Posts
I dont remember the exact symptoms when mine went out. I know that it would not start and we found it to be starving for fuel. We thought we had them fixed,,, ran 1/4 mile down the road and it died down and then totally stopped. I ended up just taking the screen, spring, and washer totally out and rode it the 3 mile back to the cabin BIG BIG MISTAKE. Do not do this as you can injest water right into your system and you know what water does to a motor,,,, it really wasnt pretty.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
you might also drain gas out into a clean container. just to see if there is water in it. then you can take a flash light and check bottom of tank. clean out the tank with rags. check the 2 cavaties 1 on each side real good. clean smart valves as puree said. put new gas in plus some dry gas. check how much play is in the throttle lever. there should only be .030 to .060 ".bushings go bad in the pivot. there is a safety switch in the handle. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you might also drain gas out into a clean container. just to see if there is water in it. then you can take a flash light and check bottom of tank. clean out the tank with rags. check the 2 cavaties 1 on each side real good. clean smart valves as puree said. put new gas in plus some dry gas. check how much play is in the throttle lever. there should only be .030 to .060 ".bushings go bad in the pivot. there is a safety switch in the handle. good luck[/b]
Thanks I will give it a try.
JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts