Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out... Ski-Doo has this pic on the racing portion of their web site with a link that says toclick for more info on the 2003 MXZX 440 LC. The text next to the pic says: "psst... can you say REV". When I click the link takes me back to the home page though. Maybe they are still working on the info link, looks cool though.  

·
Registered
328 Posts
That does look sweet.  The day ski-doo puts the 800 h.o. in the REV with that windshield (what windshield) and extended tunnel I will be ordering one.  Just in case anyone wonders I would sacrifice wind protection for looks any day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
2tone, I guess you never rode in subzero temps, have you?  I think your opinion would change.  A freind took his XCR with a low windshield to Ontario with us.  We told him not to, but he didn't make it for more than 10 min on the trail before they had to pull over so he could warm up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Windshields are nice, but not altogether necessary.  I trail ride standing up, and the windshield doesn't do anything for me.  My chest or face never get cold, but my hands sure do.  Of course, if it's 20 below, I'm usually back at the camp anyways.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have ridden in sub zero temps before.  During 00-01 season up in park rapids minnesota the low temp was -27f and the high was -16f.  That was on a 99 670 h.o. and I think I am speaking for all s-chassis sleds with a low windshield that they don't offer much protection.  Sure it was cold but once riding I didn't notice the cold because of body heat and being dressed properly.  The only problem I had was my old Lazer full-face helmet the visor did not seal right, so I was getting a draft through there.  Now I got a sno-x helmet with chin protector and breath deflector and I get uncomfortably hot when it is 15-20 degrees.   Besides it isn't 20 below that often where I ride (U.P.), when it is that cold just tough it out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try quebec on a cold winter, Ive been there 3 times when it was -40. Last cold one was -48, and it was real tough riding,I use low windshields and we rode but it wasnt pleasant, our sleds antifreeze slushed up when we took breaks and it cost me $200 to get my truck started. Sid ,you say you ride standing up? I cant imagine you put on a whole lot of miles.Averaging over 200 miles a day my legs would be shot.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
We all await the "field" reports this winter. Ski-doo can go on & on about testing & how the windshield & deflectors offer great wind protection. The deflectors, (which look like after thoughts) could they not have been contoured into the body panels? If the riders complain, you can bet there will be changes for '04.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I do it to try to condition myself for racing.  First year, I would last a lap standing up, and my legs would be jelly.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not racing on the trails or anything, I just stand up to strengthen my legs.  I'll put on about 125-150 miles in a good day, standing about 95% of the time.  It's really not bad after you get used to it.  Tight corners require squatting down, and if I'm going across a lake or something, I'll sit down about half way across.  First trail ride of the season, I'll get about 20 miles, and tire, and sit for a coupla minutes, then back up, but after a few weekends, the legs are much stronger.  It's quite a rush going 90 across a lake standing up.  I have tried riding once when it was -20 late at night -after getting the sleds running -not an easy task, we made it about 3 miles, and decided the warm fire and case of beer back at camp were much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i personally ride with a low windshield 95% of the time .when it drops below -30 out comes the high one.it only takes a second to change it out.i don't like the windshield mounted on the bars on the rev,but i see sport tech has i little windshieldy thing that doesn't turn on the bars it looks pretty good.now if we could just do something out that rear snow flap close off panel.i ride in the wide open prairies of saskatchewan .when ditch banging at night @95 mph its pretty cold but you just have to dress for it.the hard part for me is finding a decent helmet that doesn't leak.

·
Registered
226 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TT670 @ Sep. 13, 2002, 5:19pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try quebec on a cold winter, Ive been there 3 times when it was -40. Last cold one was -48, and it was real tough riding,I use low windshields and we rode but it wasnt pleasant, our sleds antifreeze slushed up when we took breaks and it cost me $200 to get my truck started. Sid ,you say you ride standing up? I cant imagine you put on a whole lot of miles.Averaging over 200 miles a day my legs would be shot.[/b][/quote]
Wow that is cold! BTW did you have your antifreez mixed 70-30?? That should be good to -84f..  I know it was below zero one morning last year when we were up in Qc.. The Mach was a bit tough to pull over :eek:)
Don't let that SID440 give you any crap about standing up all day!  
 Actually he does, and now my 2 boys do the same thing when they ride  

My son's at Tug Hill

Evel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the dealer to check on delivery of my Rev 600... couple more weeks, but the 800s are in and man are they beautiful... they made changes to the production units to allow for better wind deflection. The hand guards are designed with more of a lip as well as the existing wind guards being bigger with the lip. My dealer said that they did alot of wind tunnel testing which resulted in those modifications. Overall the Rev is a work of art IMO... it looks much more impressive in person than in photos.  

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I imagine it is fun to ride because the demo that came thru Regina got wrapped around a tree and is still parked waiting for parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Evel, thanks for that snowy reminder of what we still
have to wait 3 MONTHS for!!  Don'tcha think Mini-Evel and
Evel Jr. would look great on my 2000 zx?
???
If you carry the extra 5 gallons of gas for my '03, I'll cut you a smokin deal on the 2000.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would love to buy your old racer for the boys.. If i had the bucks.  I will have to get a tunnel/rail ext. kit and a long track for the Mach Z, then I could carry your fuel  

·
Registered
226 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sled-head @ Sep. 14, 2002, 1:24pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I imagine it is fun to ride because the demo that came thru Regina got wrapped around a tree and is still parked waiting for parts.[/b][/quote]
I heard that a SLOW Kitty got in front of him and caused him to hit the tree  

1 - 16 of 16 Posts