Snowmobile World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 2003 mxz rev 600 HO and just wondering if there are any recalls or problems they had, i checked the recall section and found nothing. I herd something about the rings being a problem on them?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats are in order.
some rings got flaky,some not.Lots went for manymany Ks.
I ran my 800 to 6000k then reringed with cudneys.
Rings were lookin slightly pitted,sled still pulled like craaazy tho!!
See ya out there!!If im off the throttle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chemong lk,Not!
Once u get used to Dirt bike riding style,look out!!
These things Rock!!
Does it have riser kit or delete kit/04 cooler on it Yet?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
how hard is it to replace the rings?
[/b]

It's not difficult at all, but there are a few specific steps that, if not followed, can make for more work or damage. If you've not done it before, take it to a dealer or have an experienced friend help out. You'll need to pay special attention to the cageless bearings.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
how hard is it to replace the rings?
[/b]
Not hard at all. I would change pistons as well. Get a piston and ring kit from Bil Cudney and some cageless needle bearings. Part # 420-832-442 or call up a Yammy dealer and get a set from an SRX at half the price.
If you do remove the pistons watch the needle bearings as stock they come cageless. There are 28 needle bearings per rod. Keep track of them. If you just change rings then don't worry about it. Once you've done a few it does by real fast. Down to about 1.75 hours now to change pistons and rings out. Expect to take the better part of the day for your first time though and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Forgot to mention crappy carb boots

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wifes 600 was a lemon. Blew it up 3 times, no kidding !! Hope you get a better one .

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
what are the basic steps to just replacing the rings? i just want to get an idea, pull off the head pop them off? I really dont have the slightest idea as ive never done this before.
[/b]
A little more involved than that. The cylinders have to come off as well. Grab a service amnual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats are in order.
some rings got flaky,some not.Lots went for manymany Ks.
I ran my 800 to 6000k then reringed with cudneys.
Rings were lookin slightly pitted,sled still pulled like craaazy tho!!
See ya out there!!If im off the throttle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chemong lk,Not!
Once u get used to Dirt bike riding style,look out!!
These things Rock!!
Does it have riser kit or delete kit/04 cooler on it Yet?
Why say 6000k? It’s 6k or 6000 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts