Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently taken over my sons RMK 800 / 144". The sled currently has almost 2000 miles of use and has been well taken care of. I have heard these have some crankshaft troubles at arount 2000 to 2500 miles. If so what are the problems and what needs to be done to correct the problem ? Any additional items I need to be aware of with this sled before the begining of the winter season ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I had an '01 that's coming up on 9,000 miles with no problem. Another '02 that let go at 6700. It's not a real predictable thing.....

What I've learned in talking with some guys that I trust is that it's likely caused by one of two issues.

The first is a clutch balancing issue. The closer the balance, the longer your crank lasts. Made sense to me, because when pulling the clutch on the '02 there was an inner belt cog wedged in behind the electric start ring gear on the clutch - which would be nearly impossible to see unless the clutch was removed. I bought the sled with 1000 miles on it, and I never blew a belt, leaving no choice but to believe that belt piece had been wedged there for nearly 6000 miles prior to the crank letting go. A freak accident.....

The other problem may be caused by the first problem, or could be a casting issue when the crank case was made. The case wears out around the OD of the PTO end crank bearings, to the point where the crank is no longer being supported properly. In either case, somebody found that a wider bearing, to replace one of the factory bearings on the PTO side, would help spread the load out a little on the case, making it much more reliable. Simple job to install the bearing. No machine work involved. If replacing the bearings, or splitting the case for any reason, this is a perfect example of where red loctite should be used (carefully!) IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts