Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchaced my son a newer sled and have inherited his 2003 Polaris RMK / 144". The sled has been well maintained and is reading about 2000 miles. I have heard a few people say the RMK's will have crankshaft issues at 2000 to 2500 miles. Is this true, and if so what needs to be taken care of to avoid further problems ? Are there any other troubled areas I should be aware of ? Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Although you posted this in the correct forum, you'll probably get a much quicker response if you post it in the Polaris or the General Snowmobiling Forums.

Sorry I can't help you as I know very little about Polaris'.
Welcome to the site.
You'll find this one of the greatest sledding families on the internet.
Some very knowledgeable people on here.

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I read that they suffer from PTO (clutch side) crank bearing failure. There is a shop who fabricates a double wide bearing kit that occupies the space between the stock bearing set up. I'll look for the ad and post it later.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Starting Line Products (SLP) has a wide bearing fix for that crankshaft issue. They are in Idaho. Indy Specialty LLC in MN also has a fix. The problem is not just the crankshaft, the crankcase may need to be trued as well. The bearing fix at SLP is about 90 bucks, you send 'em your crank and crankcase. New cranks are 950 (from SLP, more expensive from Polaris), to have the crankcase trued is 200.

You can have a mechanic check the crankshaft for out of round while the engine is in the sled. If it is .000-.004", it is within spec. If it's greater than .004", then the case is already starting to wallow out and you will need repair.

SLP's web site: www.startinglineproducts.com

Indy Specialty email: [email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend and I both have 800 rmks.He recently had the misfortune of his pto side crank end breaking off.I believe this is what happens most of the time.My case and crankshaft are at Starting line Products as I type this reply.My shaft didnt break but I am doing "prevenetive maintenence" by having the "tuff Boy" crankshaft bearing installed before I have A major failure.My pto side bearing did show signs of wear"sloppy cage and up and down play"Hope this helps my sled has about 2400 miles on it.Later Trenchdigger

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have purchaced my son a newer sled and have inherited his 2003 Polaris RMK / 144". The sled has been well maintained and is reading about 2000 miles. I have heard a few people say the RMK's will have crankshaft issues at 2000 to 2500 miles. Is this true, and if so what needs to be taken care of to avoid further problems ? Are there any other troubled areas I should be aware of ? Your help is appreciated.[/b]

·
Registered
25 Posts
My friend and I both have 800 rmks.He recently had the misfortune of his pto side crank end breaking off.I believe this is what happens most of the time.My case and crankshaft are at Starting line Products as I type this reply.My shaft didnt break but I am doing "prevenetive maintenence" by having the "tuff Boy" crankshaft bearing installed before I have A major failure.My pto side bearing did show signs of wear"sloppy cage and up and down play"Hope this helps my sled has about 2400 miles on it.Later Trenchdigger[/b]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts