Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested, I've logged a recent 600 rebuild with porting and mods in the gallery.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of tooling do you use to do porting, i have always wondered?[/b]
I use a Bosch 3/4 HP drill motor with a flex shaft and 90 degree bit holder from Chicago machine & Die. The other stuff is a retired dentist drill manufactured by T&B inc. Great for scaring folks away from my shop !!!. You can use Dremel stuff for maybe one project but its not very robust for the pro. Air tools will give you a large headache (without ear plugs) and are hard to regulate the tool bit speed.
To polish cases and aluminum in general use Cratex rubberized abrasive bits.

[attachment=35344:100_0823.JPG][attachment=35345:100_0824.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
so basivally anyone with the tools can do a porting themselves. i was just wondering, im sure there is alot more tech to it them just clean up the mettal some.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so basically anyone with the tools can do a porting themselves. I was just wondering, I'm sure there is a lot more tech to it them just clean up the metal some.[/b]
Not too many builders will share their secret porting formula. The basic rule of thumb is to improve volumetric efficiency and not loose scavenging properties hence torque and drive ability. You also need some dyno time to qualify your work and in the end theres the need to clutch the beast. Short answer Yes there is a lot of "tech" involved and not too many seat of the pants dynos work accurately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts