Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Rx1. fresh gas,new plugs,new oil,great compression,great spark,carbs profesionally cleaned and syncronized,fully inspected by professional and we are at a loss.No trouble codes. It just wont go. When you hammer it,it will spit and sputter,it wont go past about 8000 rpm,will barley go 80 mph. The mechanic is stumped and so am i. It only has 690 miles on it. It previously sat for about 2-3 yrs.Is there a break-in limiter that would cause it to not run its best? Any ideas? Thanks. Yes i posted this in Yamaha section also,but there seems to be little action there.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Check for a couple of things:

1 - Are all of the boots from the airbox to the carbs seated 100%

2 - Check for leaks in the diaprams under the black plastic caps on top of the carbs.

3 - If you bought the sled used, there were allot of guys messing with different springs in the carbs to change how the vaccume system worked (these are vac. carbs). I would double check to make sure that they are all the same spring (by color) or maybe even try to get a set of stock springs.

I had the same problem with my RX-1, and it was due to a small air leak between the carbs and airbox.

Tuning the carbs on the RX-1 is much different than regular carbs on sled, these are much more complicated of carbs. If it is a regular sled tech, I would possibly be suspect of the carb work (just not experienced with CR type carbs).

These carbs has 2 pilot jets, an air jet, and a main jet, and a adjuster screw for each circuit for mixture (other than the main jet)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
2003 Rx1. fresh gas,new plugs,new oil,great compression,great spark,carbs profesionally cleaned and syncronized,fully inspected by professional and we are at a loss.No trouble codes. It just wont go. When you hammer it,it will spit and sputter,it wont go past about 8000 rpm,will barley go 80 mph. The mechanic is stumped and so am i. It only has 690 miles on it. It previously sat for about 2-3 yrs.Is there a break-in limiter that would cause it to not run its best? Any ideas? Thanks. Yes i posted this in Yamaha section also,but there seems to be little action there.[/b]

My friend has the same sled and there was a issue with the spark plug boots. They would not insulate enough and cause arcing in the plug to wall area. There were new updated ones or something. Or might be that there is a coil in there too. Can't remember but it's an update. Sled ran WAY better after replaced. But his always ran. Never just crapped out like you explain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts