Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Last weekend the VES valve on my 800 escape broke off. I actually stalled the engine, but it was idle. My question is, should I be woried about the crank twisting, and if so how do I tell if it has twisted? Do I need to pull the bottom end apart?

Well thanks for any help in advance.

Hockeynut

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's an 800. I worry about my cranks even when they're just sitting there.

Did it stall because the valve scraped the cylinder? Or did it stall because a chunck got sucked into the cylinder and the piston slammed it against the head? I would be very concerned if it was the second one... not so concerned about the first, but still is a pain to have to deal with.

Polaris 800 cranks do not have such a good reputation for long life, you may want to get the engine apart and send the crank and case off for a pro to look at... Indy Specialties in Minnesota or SLP in Idaho both do good work.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My 2004 800 had to have a new crank with only 1700 miles. The sled was bone stock. There is a very interesting discussion on SnoWest posted by IndyDan (Indy Specialty in Minnesota, he knows cranks) that suggests that the cases may be more the problem than the crank. All the 800's have the potential, usually in the form of the crank pin on the PTO end walking or the PTO end of the shaft breaking off. Polaris, of course, refuses to say there is a problem. Sometimes getting total crank runout checked can give you an indication that the case is failing, therefore the crank will be right behind. My 2004 was within spec on the runout but the pin was walking anyway. My case was also out of spec, and needed line-boring. My 2002 was within spec, the crank was ok, case was ok. A buddy's 2002 was within spec, the crank was bad, but his case was ok. The 800 has great power, but dang, replacing cranks every 2000 miles will suck big time!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<It's an 800. I worry about my cranks even when they're just sitting there. >>>

:lol:

I believe there's an issue, but expecting to have touble every 2000 miles might be a little overcautious. There are tons of them that have gone 3-4 times that and more with no trouble. Keeping the clutch in good condition/balance is key. That's where the caution needs to be in my experience.

When the valve broke, and the engine stalled, had the valve slid down and stopped the motor suddenly, as in with a bang? Or did the motor slow down and stall? If with a bang, I'd say it needs to be checked out professionally - and agree Indy Dan is the guy to talk to/place to go.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
the motor was changed in my 800 just before i bought it . they said it was a factory new motor .
the machine would not get up to top speed , it was hanging on the rpm . we took off the clutch and found 3 different weights in there . filed them to the same weight and bingo , works like a charm !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<<<It's an 800. I worry about my cranks even when they're just sitting there. >>>

:lol:

I believe there's an issue, but expecting to have touble every 2000 miles might be a little overcautious. There are tons of them that have gone 3-4 times that and more with no trouble. Keeping the clutch in good condition/balance is key. That's where the caution needs to be in my experience.

When the valve broke, and the engine stalled, had the valve slid down and stopped the motor suddenly, as in with a bang? Or did the motor slow down and stall? If with a bang, I'd say it needs to be checked out professionally - and agree Indy Dan is the guy to talk to/place to go.[/b]

When it stoped, at first it was just a scraping noise, guessing valve against piston, no bang or anything like that. Tried turning over by hand and it wouldn't turn anymore that 100 degrees. When I pulled the top end apart, found not dents or marks in the pistons. Con rods look straight. I am thinking if I pull it apart and send it away, I might as let Indy Dan put a new crank in it and let him do his thing with the case. But I am guessing, that will be the last of my riding for the year. What does one do eh? :confused:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Where do you live? The only engine parts I ever send anywhere are Cylinders. Almost every town has a local machinist who can do a good job with cranks.
Take it apart, bring the crank down to a shop, and you should be able to have it back together in less then a week.
A general rule of thumb is that if you're tearing down your motor due to failure, you should split the crank and have the crank checked out. Just a good precaution, that costs almost nothing.

As far as the 800 cranks...I put almost 7000 miles on my 03 before I had crank troubles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you live? The only engine parts I ever send anywhere are Cylinders. Almost every town has a local machinist who can do a good job with cranks.
Take it apart, bring the crank down to a shop, and you should be able to have it back together in less then a week.
A general rule of thumb is that if you're tearing down your motor due to failure, you should split the crank and have the crank checked out. Just a good precaution, that costs almost nothing.

As far as the 800 cranks...I put almost 7000 miles on my 03 before I had crank troubles.[/b]

I live in Williams lake B.C., and there is no machine shop in town that deals with snowmobiles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts