Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the snowmobile scene. I just picked up my father-in-law's 2004 Polaris Indy Trail 550FC machine for a song. I paid $2600(CDN) including taxes for it. It only has 1600miles, of which I probably put on 300-400 of them. It's got good ride for trail, and looks sharp.

I was not aware of the issues on the net with regards to the 550 motor having problems.

Has anyone on here still have their 550Fan cooled from the 2004 era that is running problem free? What's your odometer mileage?

My goal is to put at least 500 miles on it this year. Most of the sledding I will be doing will be around home as I don't have a trailer. Half the time, I will likely have one of my kids on with me ( ages 2 and 5) so I won't be going super fast. Probably around 30-40mph.

P

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
you might get lucky and have a trouble free sled

Many people have had no problems with them but as you have read some have experienced problems

Have fun I would not worry

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think the places where those engines have proven most problematic has been in the far north where sleds are commonly pulled. People expected them to work and try to use them as the old 440s and 488s that preceded them. The 550 has a much narrower window of reliability. For general use and the light mileage you suggest, I would think you shouldn't see a problem.

I have a 550, a 2001, (which I bought new for a shade over $2600 myself.) It doesn't have many miles yet, right around 6000 but it has been opened three times for piston and jug work. I fully expect to have spent more than the purchase price of the machine on engine work before I am done with it.

When it's running, it is a fun rig to ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the snowmobile scene. I just picked up my father-in-law's 2004 Polaris Indy Trail 550FC machine for a song. I paid $2600(CDN) including taxes for it. It only has 1600miles, of which I probably put on 300-400 of them. It's got good ride for trail, and looks sharp.

I was not aware of the issues on the net with regards to the 550 motor having problems.

Has anyone on here still have their 550Fan cooled from the 2004 era that is running problem free? What's your odometer mileage?

My goal is to put at least 500 miles on it this year. Most of the sledding I will be doing will be around home as I don't have a trailer. Half the time, I will likely have one of my kids on with me ( ages 2 and 5) so I won't be going super fast. Probably around 30-40mph.

check out my posts under pipes 38 or look up 550 engine probs,theres plenty of info .it appears the last fix worked,the warrenty covered the latest upgrade[apr/07] even though the orginal warrenty had expired.check with your dealer for all the info.[/b]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts