Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just studded my 136" track and installed tunnel protectors on my 2004 frontier touring edge. I searched and searched and searched for any OEM Polaris kits for this sled but could never locate one or even find any information if Polaris ever made a kit for this machine. I searched every forum on Polaris sleds pertaining to studding and tunnel protectors but could find very little knowledge or information on it. Well I took the plunge and did it myself. I went with the Fast-Trac 1.075" top gun studs/ backers and put 108 of them in my 1" lug track. I bought the Koronis 3/4" x 1" x 51" tunnel protectors from Dennis Kirk. When I got the seat off, gas tank off and track down I did find factory drilled holes in the tunnel for what appears to be OEM tunnel protectors but again I couldn't find any OEM kits or anyone talking about them. I think it looks pretty good and hopefully they will work. I only use my sled for ice fishing and have been needing studs late season for years when we get into hard/thick ice and the wind is blowing 40 mph and your track wants to just spin on the ice because of no traction. I do wish that I would have got the protectors more centered over the track windows but I installed them right over what I believe was the OEM protectors preexisting holes. I think I might have to move the two most outer studs a little inward around the complete track as I think they may hit the protector but I reset the suspension to its stiffest setting as I'm not using my sled for ditch jumping or trail riding, just getting from one fishing spot to another. So maybe with the suspension stiff I wont squat that much and have a stud and protector hit one another. I also doubled up the protectors over the rear heat exchanger to ensure that no studs would hit that and I'm stuck with antifreeze leaking all over the ice/trails. Attaching some pics to see what you all think or recommendations you all may have and that I haven't thought of. I'm hoping that if there are other people out there with these older 2003 - 2004 Frontier touring and classic sleds that this may help them. Cheers Heat Exchanger .jpg OEM Holes .jpg Tunnel 1 .jpg Tunnel 2 .jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice! How long did it take you to install the studs? Did you follow a specific pattern or did you use your own/make one up? I have no real experience with studs but one of the two sleds we bought this spring(98 polaris xlt classic, which is the wife's and is studded, which I stupidly forgot about and so I hit the track with my bare hand to try and loosen the track/rear axle. That felt great lol. We also have an 02 indy 500 which is the one I'm gonna be riding, which is not studded)has I think 96 studs. The two snowmobiles my family used to own 20 years ago, were both late 80s early 90s Yamaha's (SRV and SS) and neither of them had studs. Actually they barely had any suspension or ground clearance at all so I ended up getting stuck ALOT lol. Im sure if the Yamaha's had studs on them, i wouldnt have gotten stuck so much or as easily. I'm curious to see the difference between our two machine this winter as far as handling/braking and traction. If hers feels that much better than mine, I might look into installing some studs on mine, depending on how good the track looks at that point. I went through her entire sled, which because I'm disabled, has taken since early summer and I'm finally starting to put everything back together lol. The sled had sat for a good couple of years and so most of the metal was either rusted or corroded, so I ended up replacing quite a bit of different parts on it. But I installed a pair of new 6 inch carbides on it which is what I think is recommended for 96 studs, so again, I'm curious/excited to see how it handles and how mine handles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! How long did it take you to install the studs? Did you follow a specific pattern or did you use your own/make one up? I have no real experience with studs but one of the two sleds we bought this spring(98 polaris xlt classic, which is the wife's and is studded, which I stupidly forgot about and so I hit the track with my bare hand to try and loosen the track/rear axle. That felt great lol. We also have an 02 indy 500 which is the one I'm gonna be riding, which is not studded)has I think 96 studs. The two snowmobiles my family used to own 20 years ago, were both late 80s early 90s Yamaha's (SRV and SS) and neither of them had studs. Actually they barely had any suspension or ground clearance at all so I ended up getting stuck ALOT lol. Im sure if the Yamaha's had studs on them, i wouldnt have gotten stuck so much or as easily. I'm curious to see the difference between our two machine this winter as far as handling/braking and traction. If hers feels that much better than mine, I might look into installing some studs on mine, depending on how good the track looks at that point. I went through her entire sled, which because I'm disabled, has taken since early summer and I'm finally starting to put everything back together lol. The sled had sat for a good couple of years and so most of the metal was either rusted or corroded, so I ended up replacing quite a bit of different parts on it. But I installed a pair of new 6 inch carbides on it which is what I think is recommended for 96 studs, so again, I'm curious/excited to see how it handles and how mine handles.
It took me about 3 hours to install the studs as I put 108 in and did it while the track was still on the sled under tension. Good luck on your project and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ya sorry, I used a premade pattern from stud boy studs where I bought the studs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh ok. I know the price for the studs and backers can get up there pretty quickly, depending on how many you're doing. That's why I want to test each one out this winter before deciding on whether or not to do it. Did you buy the special track drill bit, or did you use a regular drill bit? I myself havent drilled through a track before so I'm just curious how much better the tool works, If that's what you used

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok. I know the price for the studs and backers can get up there pretty quickly, depending on how many you're doing. That's why I want to test each one out this winter before deciding on whether or not to do it. Did you buy the special track drill bit, or did you use a regular drill bit? I myself havent drilled through a track before so I'm just curious how much better the tool works, If that's what you used
I spent about $250.00 on the studs and backer plates. I bought the track drill bit as you really need it to cut through the cords inside the track and not to damage the cords. People do use a drill bit but it’s a hassle and for $15.00 for the tool it’s worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts