Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i might have made a bad decesion. I just bought my frist sled, which is a 2004 ski-doo summit hmk 800 151, with 900 miles on it, which I am happy with . But now all of my friends and local shops tell me they have to many problems. They are telling me i need to rebuild the motor at 1500 miles is what they are telling me right. I am not sure if anyone can help I would apprecate it. And how much does it cost to rebuild a motor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think i might have made a bad decesion. I just bought my frist sled, which is a 2004 ski-doo summit hmk 800 151, with 900 miles on it, which I am happy with . But now all of my friends and local shops tell me they have to many problems. They are telling me i need to rebuild the motor at 1500 miles is what they are telling me right. I am not sure if anyone can help I would apprecate it. And how much does it cost to rebuild a motor.[/b]
its about $1000 to rebuild the motor at my dealer 1500 miles simes like to soon but i,am not sure i naver had an 800

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I would not worry

it might last 200 miles or 8000miles

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it to much. The 03 800s had some issues but I thought they were all straightend out for 04. I have an 04 600 and had to put rings in it, but I think that was mainly the 600s that had that issue and not the 800s. I have about 2000 miles on mine. Probably around the 3000 mile mark, I will put new pistons in it just as a precaution.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just ride it. If it will make you sleep better replace the rings now. The rings will go bad ~2000 miles, some get more, some get less.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You might want to check if it had rings done & the other thing is the carb boots. If you remove the boots & look at them from the inside, they are known for splitting.
Seems like alot of sled for your 1st sled. Your friends are saying that because it is your sled & not there's :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are right about my friends, they are just pissed because they ride some jankey sleds, but mine on the other had was owned by the service writer at power world in granby co. and his idea of fun was playing in the powder in the meadows plus he is about 60. and once again it has less than 500 miles on it. so how bad can it be and why does everyone tell me it sounds like alot of sled for my frist one have any of you rode in co you have to have a big sled to get around. CANT WAIT TILL WINTER!!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Not disputing what Mark and "The Dude" have said because you do need talent.
However, once you learn and acquire that talent, those ponies under the hood sure come in handy at times. Not to mention the smile factor. Just use common sense and remember it's better to dig out a bogged down sled then to launch one off of a cliff. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts