Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 ZR 900 Had the recalled shaft replaced by the dealer, and now I am about to install the third "updated" drive shaft at my own expense. The sled has only 3300 miles on it,has anyone else had this problem this frequently? I am a mechanic and do all my own work,is there a better way?
A better quality aftermarket shaft assembly?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
177 Posts
well... yes they had a problem with the drive shafts... Have you done any engine mods to give it more than the 150 hp?

how tight are you making the track... my concern is that you are too lose, and the track it ratcheting and starting to kick back and that could cause a problem...

when you tighten a track you should BARELY be able to slide two fingers on top of each other between the track itself and the rail when you pull it down with the other hand.

Speedwerx sells a drive shaft but I am pretty sure you have to buy the diamond LITE drive system to get it, which goes for around 600$ + shaft = 200-300 with drive wheels

·
Registered
185 Posts
My King was shortend at the dealer at the time of purchased to a 136 by the previous owner, it is at 190hp now at elev. Still has the stock titainium shaft and had no problems what so ever and I dont cut it any slack out in the powder and being a short tracked 900 all my buddies want to race it (they never learn..lol) point being you might want to try the titainium shaft off the King.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well... yes they had a problem with the drive shafts... Have you done any engine mods to give it more than the 150 hp?

how tight are you making the track... my concern is that you are too lose, and the track it ratcheting and starting to kick back and that could cause a problem...

when you tighten a track you should BARELY be able to slide two fingers on top of each other between the track itself and the rail when you pull it down with the other hand.

Speedwerx sells a drive shaft but I am pretty sure you have to buy the diamond LITE drive system to get it, which goes for around 600$ + shaft = 200-300 with drive wheels[/b]

The track Tension has allways been within spec, I pay close attention to the driveline as my friend rides the same sled...I have allways been able to out run him and his sled is dealer serviced. He is having the same problem,the dealer told him the sled is powerfull its going to break. I dont believe its that commen a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My King was shortend at the dealer at the time of purchased to a 136 by the previous owner, it is at 190hp now at elev. Still has the stock titainium shaft and had no problems what so ever and I dont cut it any slack out in the powder and being a short tracked 900 all my buddies want to race it (they never learn..lol) point being you might want to try the titainium shaft off the King.[/b]

Thanks, I think I will look into the titainium shaft..stronger and lighter cant hurt.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I can see going two routes here.

1st - Contact Black Diamond in MN. They own the patents on the design, but Cat has "watered down" the design to make it cheaper to manufacture. BD makes their own parts for the Diamond Drive which are much higher quality.

2nd - I am not 100% sure if they will fit, but consider going to a M7 or Crossfire drive shaft. They look to be much beefier than that of the ZR series. They both are 15" wide track sleds, I am assuming that there is not much different in fit. The drive shaft in my sled (06' Crossfire) is HUGE and I can not see how it could fail.

3rd - I would take the Titanium shaft if you gave it too me. Ti is a material that is half-way between steel and aluminum for weight AND strength. A Ti shaft that is the same dimensionally as that of a steel shaft will be weaker. It would be considerably lighter, at the sacrifice of strength. In order to get the strength, more material would have to be added to make a compromise. If Ti shafts were the way to go, they would be used in Sno-Cross. They are not durable enough. The only application in a sled is for drag racing, where that hard "shock" value is taken away from the drive line.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It happens... I talked to my mechanic buddy about your problem and he said that usually when you have a failure of the drive shaft even after you have replaced it... sometimes its due to a garbage track

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So there may be a belting problem or something along those lines makeing the track not run as true as it should?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've rode mine on and off the bar for two seasons and never had a lick of trouble

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all you'r help guys, the new shaft is in so I think Ill just ride it like its my buddies and see if it holds together. If not Ill let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for all you'r help guys, the new shaft is in so I think Ill just ride it like its my buddies and see if it holds together. If not Ill let you know.

Thanks again.[/b]
Theirs a third update # 0637-297 for around $322.
I dont see the 2005's or 2006's having any problems ?
Mine just went with 2500 miles. Major problem with the 2004's cat said only 25% thats bull !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts