Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just put money down on an awesome deal I THINK!!! open trailer w/salt sheild, 2005 Acrtic cat Z570(300miles) and a 2005 550f super sport with the M10 and only 500 miles! $6000 BUT I READ ALL THESE 550 ENGINE PROBLEMS AND I THINK I MIGHT have second thoughts!

·
Registered
348 Posts
550 fan is a very solid proof motors. I dont know whos filling w/ lies about problematic with these motors - its not true. One thing you do have to remember, they arent meant to be for speed. Anyone? WL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
550 fan is a very solid proof motors. I dont know whos filling w/ lies about problematic with these motors - its not true. One thing you do have to remember, they arent meant to be for speed. Anyone? WL.[/b]
EXCELLENT THAT IS WHAT I WAS HOPING TO HEAR!! PICK THEM UP THIS WEEK AND WAITING FOR SNOW!!!! NOT USING FOR SPEED LETTING MY 11 YEAR SON DRIVE THE POLARIS BEHIND ME!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks like you ride up in Old Forge area so you might be in luck for some early snow this year - well, of course, the season doesnt actually start til Dec 15th anyway I believe. Be sure you look the sleds over well before you buy them, and good luck. WL.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Let me say that I both love and hate the 550 engine. That said, if I could get a deal like the one you have, I wouldn't sweat it, especially with a relatively late model 550. Polaris knows - and even admitted early trouble with the engine and the way it was set up. They did warranty work on the early ones on a regular basis. Even now, Polaris is still tweaking that engine - the latest thing being the Nicasil cylinder- in an effort to get it right. They do seem to be close. I know the lower 48, etc did not see trouble with the engine from the get-go like was seen in Alaska. The older 440 and 488 fan were commonly used as work machines and they did work well. The 550 was designed as a "cleaner" two-stroke, I believe, and runs closer to the edge so has had more trouble - that and being bigger and more diffcult to cool effectively in every range.

Still, the real minutia aside, many folks never know these issues simply because they don't run the machines for work and use them mostly as light duty, play machines. As fans go, I like the power of the 550 I ride. Mostly, it runs well. They seem to like being pushed hard especially in a variable way. Trouble comes when people make them machine work and try to be "easy" on the throttle. The midrange builds heat. I have close to 7000 miles on my 2001. I bought it new, no warranty, for less than $3000. I have done engine overhauls three times. One was a lean burn-down, warm conditions, heavy load. The next a cold, high-speed burn down, moderate load. The last was a very heavy load, very warm, tail-wind burndown. All involved pulling sled - as is pretty typical in these parts.

I'm sure you will get plenty of trouble-free miles from yours on trails - and it will go plenty fast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
EXCELLENT THAT IS WHAT I WAS HOPING TO HEAR!! PICK THEM UP THIS WEEK AND WAITING FOR SNOW!!!! NOT USING FOR SPEED LETTING MY 11 YEAR SON DRIVE THE POLARIS BEHIND ME!!![/b]
Last spring, I picked up a pair of new non-current '06 Super Sports and the wife and I love them but we are more into groomed trails and not blasting across a lake. One SS is the standard black version while the wife got the red M-10 version. Boy will you love the M-10!! (For reference we used to have a '94 Trail and a '97 ZL 440.) The Edge suspension was heaven for me and the only suspension I've tried and like better is the M-10. This is definately a cruising suspension versus ditch banger but I can't get that sled away from the wife!! I rarely believe hype about how great such and such a product is and I felt that way when the M-10 came out 10+ years ago. After trying the M-10, I am absolutely a believer and wish I had tried one sooner.

Now FAST has come out with an air suspension, I wonder how good that one is?!

Enjoy your two sleds. I like the fans and the Super Sport and Z570 are two rock solid dependable sleds.

Boegey

·
Registered
51 Posts
550 fan is a very solid proof motors. I dont know whos filling w/ lies about problematic with these motors - its not true. One thing you do have to remember, they arent meant to be for speed. Anyone? WL.[/b]
i beg the differ,the 550 is a very problematic engine,i have had no less than 4 complete rebuilds and each time with no miles on them .the very first time i had 22 miles on it. the problem always occurred in the 30 to 40 mi range.until the last upgrade which was done in late march 07 ,the engine was not nowhere near reliable.now it seems to work well.the last upgrade included nic cylindres ,dig ignition with a new timing,heat shields ,diff pistons, diff jets ,pilots in the carb and a diff air fuel mixture setting .all covered under warrenty.for the people who escape this its because they stay out of the midrange area or dont use it for very long,eventually it will cause a prob down the road leaving you stranded and out of warrenty.the midrange in the 550 has a lean out problem and no new jets alone dont fix it .what polaris had done is to change the timing to make the engine run cooler and dump the heat into the exhaust rather than keep it inside the engine. the new nic cylinders help to displace the heat faster.the new needle and jets address the midrange by providing more fuel in this area ,at the same time not making the bottom or top rich.the needle is a diff taper. the heat shields keep the heat in the exhaust so it can move more rapidly out of the system verses no heat shields.WORDS OF ADVISE GET THE WARRENTY WORK DONE NOW BEFORE YOU GOT A REAL FIGHT ON YOUR HANDS

·
Registered
526 Posts
Polaris has issues on the early 550s with the piston skirts cracking and with them running lean in the midrange, but Polaris fixed all those issues after the '00 model year.
I wouldnt sweat it. The 550 is a rock-solid engine that has proven itself to be reliable.
I had a '99 550 SuperSport and didnt have any problems with it.
I agree that the 550 SS isnt a speed demon, but you should be able to get a solid 70-75 mph out of it. With some clutching work you might be able to get a tweak more out of it. That 550 was designed to be a reliable, mild-mannered trail sled though, not a fire-breathing lake racer.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i beg the differ,the 550 is a very problematic engine,i have had no less than 4 complete rebuilds and each time with no miles on them .the very first time i had 22 miles on it. the problem always occurred in the 30 to 40 mi range.until the last upgrade which was done in late march 07 ,the engine was not nowhere near reliable.now it seems to work well.the last upgrade included nic cylindres ,dig ignition with a new timing,heat shields ,diff pistons, diff jets ,pilots in the carb and a diff air fuel mixture setting .all covered under warrenty.for the people who escape this its because they stay out of the midrange area or dont use it for very long,eventually it will cause a prob down the road leaving you stranded and out of warrenty.the midrange in the 550 has a lean out problem and no new jets alone dont fix it .what polaris had done is to change the timing to make the engine run cooler and dump the heat into the exhaust rather than keep it inside the engine. the new nic cylinders help to displace the heat faster.the new needle and jets address the midrange by providing more fuel in this area ,at the same time not making the bottom or top rich.the needle is a diff taper. the heat shields keep the heat in the exhaust so it can move more rapidly out of the system verses no heat shields.WORDS OF ADVISE GET THE WARRENTY WORK DONE NOW BEFORE YOU GOT A REAL FIGHT ON YOUR HANDS[/b]
Sounds to me like you need to find a better mechanic.
I know many, many people with 550's who have put thousands of miles on them without having problems. Very good, reliable motors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Polaris has issues on the early 550s with the piston skirts cracking and with them running lean in the midrange, but Polaris fixed all those issues after the '00 model year.
I wouldnt sweat it. The 550 is a rock-solid engine that has proven itself to be reliable.
I had a '99 550 SuperSport and didnt have any problems with it.
I agree that the 550 SS isnt a speed demon, but you should be able to get a solid 70-75 mph out of it. With some clutching work you might be able to get a tweak more out of it. That 550 was designed to be a reliable, mild-mannered trail sled though, not a fire-breathing lake racer.[/b]
until the last fix in the 07 models,prior 02 to 06 550 's were having the same probs in my province nl & labrador.there were several machines affected.in my town alone the 04 & 05 550's there were about 40 ,all with the same range of problems.so no polaris did not fix them in oo model year.their first attempt was in year 00,next 02,04 and 07,the years before 07 gave polaris very very limited success.since 07 came in ,im aware of only 1 failure in my town and i have checked with other dealers throught out the province.it seems those problems are fixed with only the occasional one going down.the dealers i checked are in st johns ,corner brook,gander,clarenville and grand falls so it gives me some confidence in their latest upgrade.ITS ABOUT TIME.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well, I hate to seem like Im calling you a liar, but thats news to me. All of the business where I ride in NE Wisconsin that rent out sleds have Polaris 550s. If you were renting sleds, would you have a fleet of sleds with a motor that was supposedly a ticking timbebomb? I think not!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
All of the business where I ride in NE Wisconsin that rent out sleds have Polaris 550s. If you were renting sleds, would you have a fleet of sleds with a motor that was supposedly a ticking timbebomb? I think not![/b]
I was going to say the same thing. If you're going to rent a sled around here, chances are it's going to be a Polaris 550 fan.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't think the 550s used in the lower-48 and perhaps nearby provinces had issues with the 550s at the same rate that they were experienced by folks who use the machines in a more utilitarian fashion. I know I was refuted on the forums years ago by down-staters who were clueless about the problems which, especially the early machines had. Lower 48 riders did finally catch up to the problems though. There really is nothing to doubt about the reality. Look at the parts fiches for that engine over the years they have built it. That - not the official company word- speaks volumes about whether they had it right. It is not an engine that has been improved in terms of raw performance so why all the tweaking and changes? It's been a series of stuff; clutching, timing, jetting, bad pistons (huh, they were made by the same company, Fuji Heavy Industries, which made tons of very reliable pistons for years for the 440 and 488 fans), redesigned pistons, now Nicasil cylinders......... (Iron cylinder sleeves had a very good track record in the slightly smaller Polaris fans.)

No, 550 problems are not an illusion. These later years do seem less prone to trouble though. Still, ask any long distance trapper if they are as trouble free as the older Polaris fans. Nice motors powerwise, but, they will break down at some point. Even the more recent models still exhibit the problems.

Still, the 550 will keep the majority of the market happy. As far as I know, every major Polaris dealer in Alaska carries them again - even though there was a period when some wouldn't, due to problems with them. I still have bones to pick with them because I rate "reliable" considerably higher than "performance." However, for most folks I'm thinking they are probably "good enough" engines. Just don't run them like you care. That has always been one of the things that has gotten folks in trouble with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts