Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hearing that these engines are junk.I got 2300 miles on it[I got it brand new]Guys are telling me they are real bad for the crank bearings and are bad for the bottom ends.Its a 2005 model and i have also heard that they have power valve problems.Aperantly they cant take the slow conditions of trail riding[over heating the power valves].Can any one tell me exactly what i got my self into buy getting a polaris.And can you allso let me know what are the hiden nightmares with these liberty 800 engines.Thanks.[Should have stayed with cat].

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm hearing primary clutch maintenance is critical regarding the broken cranks. The MUST be in balance. I didn't put much weight in all the broken crank talk, but finally broke one in my '02 at 6700 miles. Thankfully, it happened at low rpm, and I noticed something was up right away. There was no other damage. I have another, an '01 with 7800 miles on it with no issues. Many other high mile engines out there also.

The VES valve thing is more of a pain in the butt. You need to clean them regularly. Not hard to tell when that's due, you'll be down about 4-500 rpm from normal at WOT. Make sure it's got the latest (stainless) valves available (thinking the '05 had them from the get go?). At least you didn't have to update those 3-4 times like many of us that bought the 800s in '01/'02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hearing primary clutch maintenance is critical regarding the broken cranks. The MUST be in balance. I didn't put much weight in all the broken crank talk, but finally broke one in my '02 at 6700 miles. Thankfully, it happened at low rpm, and I noticed something was up right away. There was no other damage. I have another, an '01 with 7800 miles on it with no issues. Many other high mile engines out there also.

The VES valve thing is more of a pain in the butt. You need to clean them regularly. Not hard to tell when that's due, you'll be down about 4-500 rpm from normal at WOT. Make sure it's got the latest (stainless) valves available (thinking the '05 had them from the get go?). At least you didn't have to update those 3-4 times like many of us that bought the 800s in '01/'02[/b]

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
on the 05 get stainless valves and clean them a lot and you will be find. inspect you clutches and make sure the bushing and the belt wear is good. have heard problems with cranks but really only on the 01 and some 02's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts