Snowmobile World banner

2005 M7

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mountaincatnny 
#1 ·
Hey i was thinking about getting a 2005 m7 because my 2000 polaris rmk 700 is having some serious problems this year. Anywho I was just wondering if the m7 is the good sled im hearing about, or if it is just jive. And also what are some pros and cons.

thanks.

#2 ·
I have about 2000 miles on mine and about 15 days riding in the mtns in the Big Horns, Cooke City, and West Yellowstone. The only sled IMO that can even come close to comparing is the Raw Chassis RMK Dragons. The power of the 700 isn't quite as linear and stump pulling as the new 800 and 1000 or the old 1M 900 ect. IMO its plenty of power especially as light and nimble as the chassis is and the 700 is very accepting of mods. The chassis loves to hop up on top of the snow and leans over into turns and sidehills amazingly easy. The high exit exhaust and air intake by the windshield work great this chassis was definetly designed from the ground up to be amazing mtn sled.

Probably the only downfall of the M chassis is its trail manners in stock form. I got mine railing around corners and floating over bumps as much as you can expect a mtn sled to now. I added a HRP relocation bracket, had Shock Tech revalve my shocks, loosened up the front skid shock, sucked the limiter strap up all the way, put 6" carbides on the front skis, I have my skis moved in all the way for mtn riding but for any amount of trail riding i move them out all the way.

To get more HP out of the 700 laydown add a 2.5 degree timing key, Boondocker, BMP pipe mod, and Vforce 3 reeds will get you up about 153-155. BMP also has a good clutching setup for this sled to. If you want to go farther go with BMP porting to get up to about 165hp or 800 big bore and get up to 172 or so.

#3 ·
I spent a day out west trading back and forth between an M6 and a Summit 600, and, without a doubt in my mind, the M6 is head and shoulders a better machine for playing in the snow. It felt soooo light, easy to throw around, I felt at home on it in 5 minutes. I climbed some SCARY hills, both some long gradual ones that go on for so long you think heaven must be at the top, and some super steep ones, and I plain loved the sled.
The Summit had as much power, but it was horrible to ride. It felt like it weighed twice as much, was really hard to get on it's side unless you were in really deep stuff, and generally did not inspire much confidence.

That said, a friend of mine who was with me much prefered the Rev because it wasn't as tippy. They were both rental units, and after switching back and forth for a while we figured out that he had a slight preference for the Summit, while I greatly prefered the M-Cat.

The M-7 would be a super choice, and I agree with NDMtnsledder that the only other choice out there is the Raw Polaris. Owning a Dragon 121 I have to say that if I was serious about getting a mountain sled today it would be a Dragon RMK, or even the RMK 600 and some mods.

#5 ·
Its pretty much impossible to find any 700 dragons left anymore anyway :D. On a side note if you find the M to tippy there are a few things you can do to make it less tippy also. With the suspension setup and skis all the way out I got mine really around corners like its on tracks. Just a matter of how you set the suspension up.

#7 ·
I think it all depends on what kind of primary riding you are going to do and how much money you want to sink in the sled, I own a 2005 M6 and love the sled in the deep powder and field and hill riding, but as far as trail riding i hate it, it over heats consistently and the long track on the bumps jams you around pretty good, now for the crossfire you get the best of both worlds, next year i am going to trade on a crossfire 800 almost the same sled but a little shorter track and smaller lug but mostly user adaptable.

But as always i am a true CAT Lover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.