Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a brand new 2007 GSX with the 550 fan engine. Does anyone know the horsepower and torque ratings for this sled/engine? Does anyone know the fuel economy? Is it better, the same, or less than that of the 600 SDI? I love the 600 SDI, but it would cost $3200 etxra to go that route :(

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the 550 will drink the fuel when compared to the 600sdi. I am not sure on power but its worth the extra bucks in my book.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on the mpg or tank on the 550 fan? Any idea at all on the HP (50, 60, 70 etc) at all? If this sled is poor on fuel I may end up buying a Polaris 550 fan or 600 LC.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i had a 2003 grand touring 550 fan and it had some wear like 65hp and i have an 600sdi the 550 will use two times the gas as the 600sdi but the 550 is still a great engin

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE Polaris 550 fan motor IMO. Ive read about a lot of problems with them on here this winter. I was thinking about one for the wife but after all the problems I read about, wont touch one.

The Doo 550 is probably around 10-11 mpg I'm guessing. I rode one a little bit and its a fun light weight sled. I was impressed! $3200 would by a lot of gas IMO. Just depends on what you want I guess. If you are going to be doing a lot of long distance riding, I'd probably spring for the SDI.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
The Rotax site has HP ratings for their engines - looks like 2004 data, but I would guess the 550F has not changed since then: Rotax Engines

Looks like the 550F is/was rated at 57 hp while the 600 SDI is/was 115 hp.

bombardier01902 says the 550F uses twice the gas.

That gives you twice the gas for half of the horsepower.

I will let you figure out your own ratio of hp/fun. Personally I think 2x the hp = 100x the fun... For me the extra $3200 would be money well spent in terms of enjoyment/dollar.

Interstingly it shows the 300F at 27 hp. I didn't know anyone was still making a production sled with an engine that small in it. Reminds me of the early days with the old 69 399cc ski-doo we had. It was loads of fun at the time, but I wouldn't go back! :)

dave

·
Registered
912 Posts
Another option would be the 500SS motor, it's really a 600cc liquid that puts out just over 100HP and most get between 15 & 20 MPG U.S. I think it's about $1,000 more than the 550, but you get more than just an engine upgrade. I don't know everything thats different but normally you get better skis, shocks, gages, etc...

·
4,440 Posts
The Rotax site has HP ratings for their engines - looks like 2004 data, but I would guess the 550F has not changed since then: Rotax Engines

Looks like the 550F is/was rated at 57 hp while the 600 SDI is/was 115 hp.

bombardier01902 says the 550F uses twice the gas.

That gives you twice the gas for half of the horsepower.

I will let you figure out your own ratio of hp/fun. Personally I think 2x the hp = 100x the fun... For me the extra $3200 would be money well spent in terms of enjoyment/dollar.

Interstingly it shows the 300F at 27 hp. I didn't know anyone was still making a production sled with an engine that small in it. Reminds me of the early days with the old 69 399cc ski-doo we had. It was loads of fun at the time, but I wouldn't go back! :)

dave[/b]
the 300f is the engine that powers the freestyle.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
the 300f is the engine that powers the freestyle.[/b]
I knew the Freestyle had a 300F in it. I knew it was a small engine. I didn't know it was under 30hp! :)

I have to admit I have not spent that much time looking into that end of the lineup... My oldest daughter is about to turn 5 - maybe a couple of years down the line I will have to look into one of these for her. :D

dave

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The 550 fan Polaris isn't great on gas mileage either. My father's 550 drinks gas as well.

My brother & I think the fan motors are set up rich to aid in cooling the engine. Any motorheads know this for a fact?

I think a 500 LC would be a better choice than the 550 fan.

·
4,440 Posts
The 550 fan Polaris isn't great on gas mileage either. My father's 550 drinks gas as well.

My brother & I think the fan motors are set up rich to aid in cooling the engine. Any motorheads know this for a fact?

I think a 500 LC would be a better choice than the 550 fan.[/b]
that is a safe assumption rev.

·
Registered
903 Posts
We have two 550s and they are very good, reliable motors.

The numbers are:

70 hp; the 56 was for the old 503, and it is around 65 for the ZX 550s, but the new pipe on the REV makes it to 70.

12-14 mpg.

The 600SDI has around 118 hp and 18 mpg.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It will get 10 to 11 mpg and has 65hp and is a great engin for some one who dose not wont a lot of speed top speed is some rear around 60 mph if you dont wont the 550 or can aford teh 600sdi go with the 500ss you will love it

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I rented a 550 f for a day ,rode it HARD! got 12 mpg`s and a top speed of 81 mph .all day long the throttle was pinned or off lol . I even hated to slow for corners as it took so long to get back up to ( reasonable) speed .over all I thought the suspension was way to soft for someone my size 6' 220 lbs . it flew nice but landed like a sack of potatos

·
Registered
335 Posts
I rented a 550 f for a day ,rode it HARD! got 12 mpg`s and a top speed of 81 mph .all day long the throttle was pinned or off lol . I even hated to slow for corners as it took so long to get back up to ( reasonable) speed .over all I thought the suspension was way to soft for someone my size 6' 220 lbs . it flew nice but landed like a sack of potatos[/b]
Yeah we got a 550fan for my wife and the suspension is super soft even on the stiffest settings.. It doesn't get near the mileage as my 700Formula 3 but it's not like we have to make a special stop to fuel her sled either.... It's a fun torquey motor and perfectly suitable for most trail riding... Across a lake or long field it will leave you wanting more but the wife has never complained and I enjoy riding it because of it's light weight.. The engine noise gets to you though... it's not as quiet as a LQ sled and it gets to be annoying after a few hours.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Ya the 550 has 65+hp not the 57 Rotax rates it

the old 503 had 56+

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quite honestly for the shocks that come on the gsx the 550f is plenty of motor, for tight trails it has plenty of zip, and a top speed of a hair over 80. If you do a lot of lake riding go for the 500ss motor, but this is a bad combination for high speed tral riding, because the shocks are made for crusing comfort, not high speed trail riding.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Quite honestly for the shocks that come on the gsx the 550f is plenty of motor, for tight trails it has plenty of zip, and a top speed of a hair over 80. If you do a lot of lake riding go for the 500ss motor, but this is a bad combination for high speed tral riding, because the shocks are made for crusing comfort, not high speed trail riding.[/b]
Could not agree more :thumbsup:

We've had both the Polaris 550 and now the wife rides an 06 GSX 550. It consistantly returns 15-16mpg trail riding at reasonable speeds, is alot of fun and the wife is very happy with it!

Happy wife, happy life :tongue:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Happy wife, happy life[/b]
Pass this man a beer,he speaks the truth :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts